Chain direction / orientation (always the same way?)

Cassie

Definately not OCD...I'm actually quite allergic to cleaning bikes...

BUt it's just so easy...takes all of 5min to get a squeaky clean chain...

cleaning the rst of bike is more painful...

I don't think I'm OCD but I do like a clean bike, takes me half an hr if not quicker to do the whole bike. I even get bleak when I drive somewhere and the bike gets dirty before I've ridden it, OK maybe a bit OCD :w00t:

Directional chains has to do with matching ramps on chainrings. This is a way for component companies to lock you into their brand. It is evil, resist it. Until they manage to make a chainring that only works with its matching chain and nothing else, ignore it. Shifting is good enough as it is. Call me a retro grouch if you like.

However, the case Cassie refers to has nothing to do with directional chains and everything with a misunderstanding of how chains wear. Whether you pull it from the left or right, or reverse it or make it work inside out or upside down, matters zero to the chain. It wears in exactly the same place, which is on the stress face of the pin.

The instructor has no clue.

As for rotating three chains, it does nothing either. Whether you consume one cassette per four successive or four simultaneous chains is the same on your pocket. The latter just requires more admind and storage space. Don't bother.

I use a 'normal' chain on Shimano 'Dynasys' 10 speed and it works fine, might be that it will shift 'better' with a directional chain but I'm happy with it ....

While on the topic : What is the difference between chains, like the SRAM PC 501, 791, and the hollow pin one? Cause the price is triple. Is it really worth paying R450+ for a chain that lasts 3 months?