Flying (literally) with a bike...

WernerLouwBosman

Hey All

I am taking my MTB down to Victoria Falls for a stage race in June.

I don't own a bike bag/box & I am not to keen buying one.

Is it possible to hire one?

How about a DIY box?

Any ideas.

Thanks!

Go to your LBS 2 or 3 weeks before the race and ask for a carboard bike box. They get their stock in these boxes. You then take off the handlebar, pedals, seatpost and wheels. Also take off the Rear Dereullier. I usually just tape this and all the other bits to the frame and any loose bits goes into a ziplock bag that is also taped to the frame. Wrap the frame and wheels in Bubble wrap and place into the bike box. Tape it up and label the box clearly with your details on. Ask the airline for lots of fragile stickers when you check your luggage in. Also check in advance what the policy is on sports equipment. Paying for overweight luggage is expensive on int. flights.

The LBS box is the cheapest option, while some shops also rent bike bags/boxes.

Or appeal to the Hubbers to rent one to you. ;)

Yesterday afternoon at King Shaka Airport I saw a lot of the riders from the recent World Cup all booking in their bikes in a standard bike box that your bike comes in.

The LBS box is the cheapest option, while some shops also rent bike bags/boxes.

Or appeal to the Hubbers to rent one to you. ;)

+ 100000.. I looked at the moulden plastic boxes with locks and wheels ... R8000 for a piece of moulded plastic with wheels and a lock on. Yes, its convenient, but that money.. that money can buy a lot of other things.