Cape Epic Prologue - Meerendal

scuzzy

Hi everyone

Just want to know if someone around here might know how the road closures work for the prologue, spesifically at Meerendal.

I see they say the the road going past Meerendal (Vissershok) will be closed from 9 - 12, with stop go from there onwards. I want to take the family and some friends with and do the farmers market as well as catch some action, but if it will be closed from D'Urbavale, it'll be quite a walk. The people at Meerendal cannot help me and I am struggling to get hold of the traffic department.

If anybody know, could you post please?

Thanks

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone

Just want to know if someone around here might know how the road closures work for the prologue, spesifically at Meerendal.

I see they say the the road going past Meerendal (Vissershok) will be closed from 9 - 12, with stop go from there onwards. I want to take the family and some friends with and do the farmers market as well as catch some action, but if it will be closed from D'Urbavale, it'll be quite a walk. The people at Meerendal cannot help me and I am struggling to get hold of the traffic department.

If anybody know, could you post please?

Thanks

From the info I received the road will be open from Durbanville side to Meerendal. So you would be able to reach Meerendal by car.

From the info I received the road will be open from Durbanville side to Meerendal. So you would be able to reach Meerendal by car.

+1

I'm gonna try and get as close to Meerendal as possible. Bring a backpack...

Do you think Contermanskloof will be open for riding Saturday?

As I understand from the club meeting I attended the trails will be closed for the duration of the prologue. Certain sections however you would be able to access as a spectator.

Edited by ubie

Contermanskloof will be open but there will probably be lots of riders on the Kliprug trail which is ridden in reverse in the prologue.

As I understand from the club meeting I attended the trails will be closed for the duration of the prologue. Certain sections however you would be able to access as a spectator.

Contermanskloof will be open but there will probably be lots of riders on the Kliprug trail which is ridden in reverse in the prologue.

So Saturday should be fine to go ride with some mates?

Someone just pointed out to me that the road will be closed from just before Meerendal, coming from Durbanville, it is marked in black on the spectators guide. So, barring traffic and parking next to the road, it won;t be to far to walk with a kiddie/family.

I don't know about the Saturday, but this is what the Tygerberg MTB letter had to say about Sunday:

Spectator Access Venues

Meerendal

There will be a secure Bike Park so you can ride your bike to Meerendal and check your bike in to the park. There will be route open to the top of the Staircase to Heaven where you will be able to ride to to watch the contestants. From there you will be able to walk to the top of Dorstberg to view the finish. The contestants will be using the single track to return to the start. The road past Meerendal will be completely closed from 08h00 till 12h00 with stop and go for a period before and after. The Meerendal Market Day will also take place this day.

Contermanskloof

Further spectator viewing will be allowed on Contermanskloof, you can ride your bike up the route from the Bike Shed to view the contestants come up the green corridor and then do some of the Contermanskloof single track. Parking will be available at the day permit parking and at the Bike Shed.

Hillcrest

Plenty of parking will be made available at Hillcrest with the restuarant opening early for that cup of coffee to keep you going! A band will be on site to provide some music while you watch the contestants going past and watching the tv broadcast on the TV's that will be setup. You can also ride or walk up to view the contestants doing the various sections of the Hillcrest trails. Access has been granted via the Bloemendal Restuarant cement road (for this day only) so that you can get to the reservoir at the top of the rocky climb.

Nitida

There will also be plenty of parking at Nitida where another band will entertain the spectators. There will be activities for the whole family so bring them all along to enjoy the day. An announcer as well as TV's will also keep you up to date with the happenings in the race.

Someone just pointed out to me that the road will be closed from just before Meerendal, coming from Durbanville, it is marked in black on the spectators guide. So, barring traffic and parking next to the road, it won;t be to far to walk with a kiddie/family.

If Vissershok from the Western side is closed, it leaves one single entry/exit road to Meerendal from Durbanville. It will be chaos, be prepared to park in Durbanville and walk/ cycle all the way up to Meerendal.

Kinda bummed with the timing of it all :( Communal DSTV installation is broken double :(

Where can we find the start times for this morning? Seems like it got wiped off/hidden on the cape epic website?

What time did the race actually start today, as coverage only started at 9.00am, missed all the top riders dagnamit. OK my bad, they have just said the top riders only start at 11.45am, why so late?

Edited by Caerus

What time did the race actually start today, as coverage only started at 9.00am, missed all the top riders dagnamit. OK my bad, they have just said the top riders only start at 11.45am, why so late?

Understood the top guys starting later and first riders were away at 7ish...

Understood the top guys starting later and first riders were away at 7ish...

That sucks, I had planned my whole day around a 9 start, doh. Guess I better get some work done. I can't understand why the top riders would start in the hottest part of the day.

Top 10 so far:

Cat Position GC Position Team Name Category Stage Time Overall Time No. Rider 1 Country No. Rider 2 Country 1. 1. Futurelife Men 1:28.41,9 1:28.41,9 285-1 Franso Steyn South Africa 285-2 Petrus Malherbe South Africa

1. 2. Complete Cyclist Masters 1:32.36,8 1:32.36,8 243-1 Warren Squires South Africa 243-2 Scott Mckenzie South Africa

2. 3. Exxaro Academy 9 Men 1:33.59,1 1:33.59,1 256-1 Siphosenkosi Madolo South Africa 256-2 Azukile Simayile South Africa

3. 4. Altmann Men 1:35.50,7 1:35.50,7 221-1 Richard Deglise Switzerland 221-2 Christophe Schmocker Switzerland

4. 5. SmackDown ONE Men 1:36.30,3 1:36.30,3 217-1 Francios Du Toit South Africa 217-2 Nico Botha South Africa

5. 6. CYCLOZONE Men 1:37.03,4 1:37.03,4 163-1 Olivier Vernaton Reunion 163-2 Sery Vincent Reunion

2. 7. Auto & General Masters 1:37.42,0 1:37.42,0 85-1 Deon Kruger South Africa 85-2 Neil Frazer South Africa

6. 8. Neef & Niggie Men 1:38.03,3 1:38.03,3 175-1 Fanie Venter South Africa 175-2 Johan Venter South Africa

3. 9. Tulbagh Koggelramme Masters 1:38.47,5 1:38.47,5 155-1 Deon Wilkins South Africa 155-2 Pieter Carstens South Africa

4. 10. Cycle Lab - Nelspruit Masters 1:39.31,7 1:39.31,7 160-1 Roger Rusch South Africa 160-2 Carl Van Maanen South Africa

Streaming via cape-epic.com is blocked for South Africa. *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset* *I will not get upset*