Garmin E500 Questions

The Ghost

@Walkerr - do you know if any of the existing services allow you to upload Garmin maps / routes, and to exchange them?

I know some allow Garmin data to share, but I dont know about being able to load somebody elses map from these services.

Not something i've tried - just checking now ....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see a "download" on Strava ...

MapMyRide - my account is old/stale and has no rides, others may be able to try that one for you.

Garmin Connect - looks like I can find someone else's local route, and save that as a Course in my own profile. So that's a yes I think.

I guess the focus of Strava is more online comparisons - not sure why they don't allow a download though. They do have a "privacy" option that screens sections near your home, so perhaps that's the reason. Although they could easily allow download of routes not passing through there.

Cool thanks, so it looks like Garmin Connect is the best option so far. I'll have a look see - though I dont have a Garmin :D

Yep - I suspect MapMyRide may offer download too from what I remember.

Just sent support email to Strava to see if there is a way, or if they plan this feature

from Garmin connect website:

"Finally, you can share your course in the same way activities can be shared, and you can browse for other users' courses in the Explore tab."

Yep - I suspect MapMyRide may offer download too from what I remember.

Just sent support email to Strava to see if there is a way, or if they plan this feature

You can from MapMyRide cos' I did it recently... See my earlier post... http://www.thehubsa....ost__p__1619315

As I said though you need to first convert the file format and in the process I did lose elevation data (will try again soon though and see if happens again). I think it would be best to use a site that uses native garmin file formats though...

Edited by dracs

You can from MapMyRide cost I did it recently... See my earlier post... http://www.thehubsa....ost__p__1619315

As I said though you need to first convert the file format and in the process I did lose elevation data (will try again soon though and see if happens again). I think it would be best to use a site that uses native garmine file formats though...

Now wouldn't be great if all of this was just on one website, where you can just upload, leave a brief description and download someone elses route.

Guys

We are already a community here, we all got logins here.

not everyone uses Garmin connect or even garmin's,

Remember these files are gpx files which is a open standard so both the garmin and bryton can use them for sharing rides,

I'd say keep it here, in house, in our community.

G

Now wouldn't be great if all of this was just on one website, where you can just upload, leave a brief description and download someone elses route.

Yup, Absolutely!

Guys

We are already a community here, we all got logins here.

not everyone uses Garmin connect or even garmin's,

Remember these files are gpx files which is a open standard so both the garmin and bryton can use them for sharing rides,

I'd say keep it here, in house, in our community.

G

I hear you and it would be nice, but on the GPX thing, turns out that this is not the format for courses on the garmin - you need to convert it to FIT or TCX (I think)...

All of this can be done by simply enabling File Upload (maybe this can be limited to gpx files to make sure we don't flood the site with images which end up costing the site owner more than desired) to this forum, instead of having to have files/images etc as a url link to another site.

Then we just need 1 new section under rides, and maybe a sub section for each province, containing a thread for each location, the gpx file and the discussion/comment.

G

Yup, Absolutely!

I hear you and it would be nice, but on the GPX thing, turns out that this is not the format for courses on the garmin - you need to convert it to FIT or TCX (I think)...

The Edge 500 and 800 can convert GPX files automatically to .FIT files by pasting the GPX file in the courses folder. Just open the course on your unit and it will convert it.

GPX is more universal ... TCX is training center specific and I have seen that a lot of data is lost when working with TCX files. Stick to GPX or FIT

The Edge 500 and 800 can convert GPX files automatically to .FIT files by pasting the GPX file in the courses folder. Just open the course on your unit and it will convert it.

GPX is more universal ... TCX is training center specific and I have seen that a lot of data is lost when working with TCX files. Stick to GPX or FIT

:oops: so i went looking for file converters for nothing! I was told you have to place file in the "New Files" folder (not courses) and from there it doesn't convert GPX, but your way is definately easier! thanks :clap:

Anything come of this idea.

admin back yet?

G

Lets speak to ADMIN when he gets back from the Epic.

Anything come of this idea.

admin back yet?

G

Not yet, will do but if you want to take the initiative feel free.

What is his contact details,

will put something together explaining the idea.

G

Not yet, will do but if you want to take the initiative feel free.