Advice on Shimano Groupset

I'm new to road cycling and looking to buy a bike for +- R4k

From what I've learned so far I'll need 56 (Large) frame, I see most of the bikes have a carbon fork and some or other shimano groupset.

Most of the bikes in my price range have Sora groupset but I've read this is bottom of the line and shouldn't be considered if you want to do any substantial amount of riding (not sure what would be considered substantial). A mate and myself are training for the 94.7 and the Argus... Would like to build up to 150km per week.

Should I get the Sora or look at spending more... What will happen with the cheaper groups set? Will it just break sooner from wear and tear? If I get the Sora can I but individual components from the better range (Tiagta/ Ultegra etc) to replace piece by piece to build it up?

What sort of total weight should I look at in a bike my size? It seems under 10kg is good?

Sounds really good but all the bikes I've seen with the 105 group set have been over R5k and up to 10k... if you know of any please let me know

Sora will not break, it will last you as long as any other groupset and will do what you need it to do. Where Sora falls short vs 105 is in the shift quality.

You can literally feel the difference. Sora is hard and clunky and battles to shift under a load(such as climbing) whereas 105 is so much smoother and silky and quicker.

For your budget, you will pick up a Tiagra specced bike or for a few hundred bucks more, a 105 bike.

+1

Another +1 from me. 105 is minimum requirement for semi serious and serious athletes in my view.

Sounds really good but all the bikes I've seen with the 105 group set have been over R5k and up to 10k... if you know of any please let me know

Go second hand. Look at the classifieds here.

If I get the Sora can I but individual components from the better range (Tiagta/ Ultegra etc) to replace piece by piece to build it up?

Sora/Tiagra or 9 speed, while newer 105 and up are 10 speed. This means that you'd have to upgrade your shifters, cassette, dérailleurs, chain and possibly chain rings in one go - basically the whole groupset, excluding the brakes and crank.