Overseas (Wiggle.co.uk) vs SA online shops

skyfreak

I have ordered a few stuff from Wiggle that I could have easily ordered from any SA online shop; but....

When I had to go and fetch the stuff at the post office I got a horrible fright from the tax and duties I had to pay…nevertheless…I had to pay it. Then I made some calculations and found out that even after tax and duty paid I still saved R800 compared to SA!! Now my question is…why do these online shops in SA still rip us off :huh: ?

I received the goods in less than a week from the UK…can be compared to SA shipping.

What kind of stuff?

(i am reminded of a comment made by late comedian Mitch Hedburg " i love the fedex man, cos he is a drug dealer and doesnt even know it")

What kind of stuff?

(i am reminded of a comment made by late comedian Mitch Hedburg " i love the fedex man, cos he is a drug dealer and doesnt even know it")

It was mostly cycle parts...and the fedex man did not have to worry :ph34r:

I just paid less at a LBS for my new Assos bib shorts then any of the local online stores. Which I was very surprised about. In saying that you still need to shop around, as you would be comparing LBS to Online, Online(local) to Online(local) or even Online(local) to Online(international).

Some things will be cheaper here, all depends on the relationship between shop and supplier. I don't think its a matter of trying to rip us off, they still need to make a profit don't forget.

Ok so if I had gone to crc this morning my total would have been

1 x Schwalbe RR snakeskin 29'er tyre @ R540.00

2 x 9spd XT chains @ R600.00

1 x Parktool boot @ R47.00

I got these prices locally

1 x Schwalbe RR snakeskin 29'er tyre @ R499.00

2 x 9spd XT chains @ R400.00

1 x Parktool boot @ R49.00

I scored...whoop whoop, it depends what you buy, overseas are not as cheap as you think

Ok so if I had gone to crc this morning my total would have been

1 x Schwalbe RR snakeskin 29'er tyre @ R540.00

2 x 9spd XT chains @ R600.00

1 x Parktool boot @ R47.00

I got these prices locally

1 x Schwalbe RR snakeskin 29'er tyre @ R499.00

2 x 9spd XT chains @ R400.00

1 x Parktool boot @ R49.00

I scored...whoop whoop, it depends what you buy, overseas are not as cheap as you think

Not anymore, seems the online guys have brought it back to being very competitive. My DT Swiss Revolution are R650 for 36 spokes locally(CWC) and I'm paying R700 for 72 spokes at CRC. Shop around, it saves you in the long run.

Now my question is…why do these online shops in SA still rip us off :huh: ?

Do they, though? Prices from CWC and Buycycle aren't too bad. They're higher in many case, but not to the point that I'd call it ripping off.

For example Buycycle is the cheapest source of Bell Helmets, with full warranty and crash replacement, in SA. Their prices on Zipp and SRAM are in line with Wiggle etc. and are sometimes cheaper.

My purchasing hierarchy goes something like: if I need it now, I'll go the the LBS. If I need it tomorrow, I'll order from CWC. If I need it next week, I'll get from whoever is cheapest (be it local or overseas), considering all costs and convenience.

Not anymore, seems the online guys have brought it back to being very competitive. My DT Swiss Revolution are R650 for 36 spokes locally(CWC) and I'm paying R700 for 72 spokes at CRC. Shop around, it saves you in the long run.

Wow that is quite a saving so it might be worth it, in my case and more recently lately I havent even bothered looking at CRC, wiggle or evans. I can get it local for the same or in some case as in this morning's order...cheaper :eek: couriered to my door next days...boom

Shop around, it saves you in the long run.

Very good advice. Do homework, save money.

primary thing is that you have to buy in enough quantity to forfeit shipping costs - so you end up buying other stuff that you would not have ordinarily bought.

I have also had a situation of buying a BB that just didnt fit despite all my checks so ended up buying another from lbs

I just paid less at a LBS for my new Assos bib shorts then any of the local online stores. Which I was very surprised about. In saying that you still need to shop around, as you would be comparing LBS to Online, Online(local) to Online(local) or even Online(local) to Online(international).

Some things will be cheaper here, all depends on the relationship between shop and supplier. I don't think its a matter of trying to rip us off, they still need to make a profit don't forget.

That is true...they still need to make a profit but Wiggle also have their suppliers and they (Wiggle) also make a profit. I can resell this stuff that I have just bought and also make a profit after I bought it from someone that already made their profit. It is however true that not all things are cheaper but sometimes it is a lot cheaper to buy overseas....know your price!

Wow that is quite a saving so it might be worth it, in my case and more recently lately I havent even bothered looking at CRC, wiggle or evans. I can get it local for the same or in some case as in this morning's order...cheaper :eek: couriered to my door next days...boom

I've not bought anything from CRC or overseas in ages, everything has been bought local. The rims I bought were cheaper her then overseas as well.

I've not bought anything from CRC or overseas in ages, everything has been bought local. The rims I bought were cheaper her then overseas as well.

+1000.................CRC is my last resort !!