Overseas (Wiggle.co.uk) vs SA online shops

skyfreak

I got impulsive and ordered some Hope disk brakes & rotors from Wiggle on Monday.

Their prices were better than CRC, so I was impressed.

Before I made the payment, I checked each item to see that it was in stock, and according to the website, it was.

I stupidly clicked 'Priority Dispatch' for £3.99 and then "tracked delivery' for a further £30 (I told you I was being impulsive).

The order was confirmed and payment went through, but the confirmation email arrived saying that the front brake wasn't in stock, has been back ordered and will be dispatched as soon as possible.

I replied to that email expressing my irritation on Monday and got a reply today (Thursday) apologising for the delay and that the remaining item was being processed today.

I went to online banking to check a few things and saw that they charged me the full amount when I made the order on Monday and then charged me again for the full order less the front brake today.

So far, it hasn't been a great experience and I really hope that it doesn't take another 3 days to sort this out.

Edit: Spell check :blush:

Edited by splat

Prices seemed to have aligned in the last couple of years. Overseas still has better variety though, so if I need something I cant get here I just import it.

I bought my FFWD wheelset of wiggle.co.uk.

I contacted FFWD directly regarding warranty claims etc and it is all valid.

Price difference was massive!

I paid R10980 excl customs for the FFWD F4R DT SWISS 240 tubular wheelset, here alone I got quoted from a well known supplier in SA the amount of R16 350 incl.

Customs was R1700 and shipping was included with wheelset price.

So lets see....R10980 + 1700 = R12680 against quoted SA price of R16350 so it is a saving of R3670 and it was delivered withing 5 working days...

So yes, the more expensive the item the more they nail us on price.

This is probably the reason why in future when I require loads of spares go online otherwise if it is something small I will support local.

I had an awesome experience with Wiggle and will use them more often.

Edited by MTB_Roadie

• 3 weeks later...

I got impulsive and ordered some Hope disk brakes & rotors from Wiggle on Monday.

Their prices were better than CRC, so I was impressed.

Before I made the payment, I checked each item to see that it was in stock, and according to the website, it was.

I stupidly clicked 'Priority Dispatch' for £3.99 and then "tracked delivery' for a further £30 (I told you I was being impulsive).

The order was confirmed and payment went through, but the confirmation email arrived saying that the front brake wasn't in stock, has been back ordered and will be dispatched as soon as possible.

I replied to that email expressing my irritation on Monday and got a reply today (Thursday) apologising for the delay and that the remaining item was being processed today.

I went to online banking to check a few things and saw that they charged me the full amount when I made the order on Monday and then charged me again for the full order less the front brake today.

So far, it hasn't been a great experience and I really hope that it doesn't take another 3 days to sort this out.

Report back on my experience with Wiggle:

All my queries were sorted out on the day I sent the subsequent emails.

The banking issues sorted themselves out. (The first full amount debited was a 'reserve', and then the 2 subsequent amounts were for the actual items and the reserve was then reversed.)

The first package arrived 1 week after ordering and the second package, a week after that.

The £34 I paid for express and tracked delivery was refunded in the form of a voucher.

So in the end, I have my goodies and am happy with Wiggle and will use them again.