Where do I start?

Shotgun

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, I thought if I can get it for say R5500, then I still have R2500 to spend on the bike before I get to R8000! Anybody who thinks I am making a mistake?

Even if you budget say R3000 for a new fork or new wheels, there are some good deals around online at the sites I said to check.

Its more like a decent frame with a whole bunch of crap attached to it, but thats fine, as you start off and break stuff, you dont want high grade components and you can invest and upgrade over time.

Like caerus said, upgrade 1 the fork upgrade 2 the wheelset. The rest you ride till it breaks. and then replace with higher level components.

If you say upgrade the fork/wheel set: anything you can recommend? Would it maybe not be good for me to just stick to the standard stuff during my training and then upgrade a month or two prior to the race?

If you say upgrade the fork/wheel set: anything you can recommend? Would it maybe not be good for me to just stick to the standard stuff during my training and then upgrade a month or two prior to the race?

You can do that. When the bug has really bitten, you may actually be looking at a new bike 2 months before W2W, lol. Its totally up to you, but it would be nice to upgrade now rather, if you can. You will certainly feel/ notice a massive difference in the bike with better wheels or fork.

Yes you can stick to the standard stuff and it will work, but soon as youre skills progress you will want a better fork for better ride comfort, If i remember the rockhopper only has 80mm of travel, (speaking under correction here) but regardless youll want a plusher ride in time.

2 getting a new wheelset is not just about getting something that rolls better you also shave of a lot of weight by putting on new wheels so its double score.

That said you could ride that bike as is just fine,,,,,, but as you will soon find out upgrading your kit becomes an obsession, I bought a really expensive bike last month, this month its a new shock, next month new wheelset, month after that probably new crank or brakeset, you eventually build the machine the way you want it :) costly .... but fun :thumbup:

Yes you can stick to the standard stuff and it will work, but soon as youre skills progress you will want a better fork for better ride comfort, If i remember the rockhopper only has 80mm of travel, (speaking under correction here) but regardless youll want a plusher ride in time.

2 getting a new wheelset is not just about getting something that rolls better you also shave of a lot of weight by putting on new wheels so its double score.

That said you could ride that bike as is just fine,,,,,, but as you will soon find out upgrading your kit becomes an obsession, I bought a really expensive bike last month, this month its a new shock, next month new wheelset, month after that probably new crank or brakeset, you eventually build the machine the way you want it :) costly .... but fun :thumbup:

OK cool - for now I am just ampted to get a bike and start riding! Will keep you posted! :thumbup:

OK cool - for now I am just ampted to get a bike and start riding! Will keep you posted! :thumbup:

Let me know when your hooked up ill take you for a guided tour of some of the best singletrack CPT has to offer

Let me know when your hooked up ill take you for a guided tour of some of the best singletrack CPT has to offer

Cool, just give me chance to get some fitness going. Will keep you posted on progress. :thumbup:

This is the end of the beginning - within a year you will have spent 20k+ and still be planning more, but you will love every minute of it :clap:

Most definitely ..... im considering my next upgrade

and the guys behind you wont have to look at your plumber crack hanging out.

Dont have a bib and dont need one.Have done plenty of 80km rides without.I would rather make sure my saddle fits well .Dont waste money on a camelback.if you are planning to carry all that stuff around ,you are getting poor advice.Good used bike is better option than buying a new poor specced one .

Dont have a bib and dont need one.Have done plenty of 80km rides without.I would rather make sure my saddle fits well .Dont waste money on a camelback.if you are planning to carry all that stuff around ,you are getting poor advice.Good used bike is better option than buying a new poor specced one .

HuH?