Santa Cruz Superlight 29 Vs Salsa Spearfish

The Smoovf

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hubbers

Would there be a specific reason why Santa Cruz would spec the Superlight 29 with the Fox RL and not the RP23?

Is this just to make the Superlight more of a “budget” bike or is there specific reason as the bike is a single-pivot?

Would you guys rate the RP23 as a good upgrade or a RS Monarch? Read in one of the other forums that the Monarch is giving them awesome results.

All input appreciated.

Which Monarch are you referring too? I would say only Monarch RT3 is a better shock than the RP23 but not by much.

Edited by Andre Maree

Frustrating - Mrs da Butcher gets pissed every time I clear her herb garden from the porch, but the brakes stops me before I plough through the azaleas.

Venzuela want to ride - she`s a peacock, I need to let her fly!!!!!

Frustrating - Mrs da Butcher gets pissed every time I clear her herb garden from the porch, but the brakes stops me before I plough through the azaleas.

Venzuela want to ride - she`s a peacock, I need to let her fly!!!!!

Came out nice Vince! took her to Groenkloof yet to "fly" ?

Very nice Vinny. Mine should finally be sorted by end of the week (hopefully). What did you use for the extra cage on the seatpost?

Its a quote from "The other Guys"

Keen to see the climbing - is feels very nimble - feels very much like the Bulls HT I have.

Hoping that the 3.5 inch travel will smooth the rest out - Like ManBearPig said, very responsive and doesnt give you the 'bobbing" feel.

Frame weight feels great - hoping for some real trail feel!

Very nice Vinny. Mine should finally be sorted by end of the week (hopefully). What did you use for the extra cage on the seatpost?

Xankt(?) I think, just get a cage with a lip that holds the bottle, these were cheap, about R 120 or so. Dont go with super light weight, get something that holds propperly - Spez cages are great but not the cheapest. I choose function over brand name.

WR 1.0 - let me know when yours is done then we`ll meet up with B-unit and M.B.P. for a Groenkloof ride!

Post the pics mate!

Edited by Vinnydabutcher

Xankt(?) I think, just get a cage with a lip that holds the bottle, these were cheap, about R 120 or so. Dont go with super light weight, get something that holds propperly - Spez cages are great but not the cheapest. I choose function over brand name.

WR 1.0 - let me know when yours is done then we`ll meet up with B-unit and M.B.P. for a Groenkloof ride!

Post the pics mate!

Will do, We'll have our own little School of Spearfish! :-)

Thought that cage looked like the Xankt's, did you use the Spez clamps though?

Its a quote from "The other Guys"

Keen to see the climbing - is feels very nimble - feels very much like the Bulls HT I have.

Hoping that the 3.5 inch travel will smooth the rest out - Like ManBearPig said, very responsive and doesnt give you the 'bobbing" feel.

Frame weight feels great - hoping for some real trail feel!

I know , anyways enjoy the bike ( if things worked out i would've had one too but the flash will do) :thumbup:

Edited by Cavendish

Will do, We'll have our own little School of Spearfish! :-)

Thought that cage looked like the Xankt's, did you use the Spez clamps though?

I used some other clamp - it was about R 80 - spez was R 160. No issues and had it for about 2 years now.

I know , anyways enjoy the bike ( if things worked out i would've had one too but the flash will do) :thumbup:

Come join us anyway Cav - no sprint points on the day - but we can swop out and compare - and no, bikes only!

Come join us anyway Cav - no sprint points on the day - but we can swop out and compare - and no, bikes only!

Will do :thumbup: I would hope bikes only :blink:

I would like to see what that little amount of rear travel does - should be nice and fast yet more comfy than the HT

the seatstay(ie top of rear triangle) looks a bit skimpy on the spearfish. maybe just because the tub is so much thinner in comparison to everything else on the bike. just saying from the pic, sure it's all good in the flesh.

If anybody is interested in a spearfish give me a shout, might be ordering in next week or so

how much is a frameset on the spearfish?

Here we go. Still need to check set up, and make few tweaks. This was taken straight from the shop. Thanks to Leewee's Cycles!11.8kg's, this is lighter than my Yeti ASR!

post-6889-0-51496000-1342117590.jpg