Rear shock knocking!

BBN

Have a DT Swiss M210 rear shock and it seems to be 'knocking' when it straightens out, not in compression.

Any advice before I send it in for service?

Mmmmmm, I hope you get some good replies to your question as I also have a M210 rear shock which seems to have a very slight knock when it returns to full extension, not so much that I notice it on the trail though. Its almost like there is no top out bumber in the shock.

Where would you send it in for a service as my shock leaks a bit of oil too.

I'm not familar with that exact model, but a a couple of months ago I had an issue with my Fox DHX 5 knocking as it returned from compression.

I also found that the rebound dial wasn't effective, and the shock was fixed on the fastet rebound setting (pretty scary for DH and dirt jumping).

I was tld the reason was that the seals inside were gone and oil had pushed onto the wrong side of the chamber. I had it sent off to the Fox guys in CT. They did their magic, and now it's hundreds.

So maybe your DT has similar issues? Is your rebound working?

I will take it to my LBS and they will send it to DT Swiss if needed but they have quite a good shock guy at Dunkeld Cycles.

A shock that knocks when returning to full length probably has a hardened rubber bumper. This is easily fixed by replacing it with a thick O-ring of suitable diameter. Do it yourself.

1) Remove the shock.

2) Remove all the air (or die)

3) Unscrew the air cannister.

4) Remove the bumper from the damper body and check if it is nice and soft.

5) Replace with anything suitable.

6) Add a little bit of Hypoid oil (5ml) to the air chamber and replace the air cannister.

Voila!