Lourensford - Did I miss something?

R250 a day permit. Must be done by 11:30 or “You Are In Big Trouble”

Almost Non-existent trail markings??

”no one else has ever gotten lost”

Maybe it was just me?? And maybe the other 6 that were with me….

Edited by Da Vinci

The only thing that you missed was your sanity when you opted in to pay that rip-off day pass for trails that aren't that good.

For that same money you could go ride much better trails all day and have money to spend on a good post ride meal.

Same experience last week. It's a total joke I promised my kids we'd ride there and cannot believe what a disaster it was. The young girl collecting money was clueless as to the direction of the trails etc. 

Definitely won't be going back. 

7 hours ago, Da Vinci said:

11:30 or “You Are In Big Trouble”

that's when the shooting range opens and you dont want to get caught in the cross fire.

9 hours ago, milky4130 said:

that's when the shooting range opens and you dont want to get caught in the cross fire.

Except that we were not told that. We were told we “Are in big trouble” when we arrived back - not sure what trouble still. We explained the poor signage, trail markings / or lack there of and many of the Single track start boards were lying flat. They did expostulate that its was Epic quality and W2W blah blah. I walked away.

Experience left a bad enough taste that we didn’t even want to drop a further cent on the estate, but knowing they are all private micro enterprises we ended up at Millhouse kitchen for a beer - waitress even offered us a tasting when we weren’t sure which of the local on tap to order - and a great pizza. AND they didn’t care that we were in sweaty sketchy bike kit. Coffee spot looked good too!

Welcomed into Wedgewood Nougat like a princess- tempted with sweet treats on a silver tray -  so I dropped some money there too.

Frustration of lack of flow aside etc. the valley is beautiful but it’s silly money and if you don’t have local knowledge of trails you will miss much of the good stuff!

Up here you get smooth flow and jump lines for 70 bucks all day long 

jirrrrr what a rip 😂

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

250 zar for a day permit is perhaps a signal to say "we don't really want you here".

In principal I am ok with the R250 for a once-off outing for the experience, I do think the trails & scenery on the farm are really good. (And we have done most of the other trails in the wider area)

What caught me off guard is the time cut-off, that really doesn't leave enough time to do a proper ride or get to the further out trails for a group of social riders. Combine that with the bad signage and you can quickly run out of time before getting to the fun stuff.

But yes - the message here is clearly we don't need you on our trails but will tolerate you for a short time if you drop a lot of money.

5 hours ago, drumming Williams said:

Come and try out Polkadraai bike park , and the Bottelary network of trails , great for the whole family .

thanks for the recommendation!

20 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Well all the more reason to mention it at check in… nothing on the online indemnity one Signs either. 
Actually all the more reason to have your trail signage in order too…. Heard later that they had mentioned to others that had checked in that the signage wasn’t great… I mean What the Actual 🤦🏼‍♀️

18 hours ago, nonky said:

thanks for the recommendation!

Also try The GOAT, by Devonbosch Estate, at the end of Bottelary Road towards Stellenboch. 
New Park style trail opened up.

I'm reading this wondering who in their right mind would even consider paying 250 ronds for a day or half day pass to ride on some farm that makes wine. 

Words fail me 🤦‍♂️

On 5/18/2024 at 10:20 PM, milky4130 said:

Should a shooting range not be fenced in, with red flags when in use? Not just a casual mention on a piece of paper?