Ballpark 2nd hand prices

I currently have a dual sus 26er, but I've been toying with the idea of getting a 29er as well. As things stand, I'm expecting some cash to come in in the next couple of months, so I've been doing some e-window shopping.

I'm looking for a dual sus, cross country, race oriented bike, with X9 / XT group and tubeless.

Amongst the new bikes, The Scott Sparc Elite is in budget, but I'd need to replace the rear shock and the wheels. Not too keen on Axis et al.

So the other option is to look at the secondhand market and I believe I'll find much better bang for my buck there. Based on some research, I'd ideally like a Niner Jet or a Spez Epic comp. Unfortunately these don't pop up every second day, so the question is whether it's worth waiting for one or to look at the new bike market.

I currently have a dual sus 26er, but I've been toying with the idea of getting a 29er as well. As things stand, I'm expecting some cash to come in in the next couple of months, so I've been doing some e-window shopping.

I'm looking for a dual sus, cross country, race oriented bike, with X9 / XT group and tubeless.

Amongst the new bikes, The Scott Sparc Elite is in budget, but I'd need to replace the rear shock and the wheels. Not too keen on Axis et al.

So the other option is to look at the secondhand market and I believe I'll find much better bang for my buck there. Based on some research, I'd ideally like a Niner Jet or a Spez Epic comp. Unfortunately these don't pop up every second day, so the question is whether it's worth waiting for one or to look at the new bike market.

Scott Spark Elite 29er is the best value for money in the +-R 20k price range. Forget your worries about the rear shock, some idiot writer found that to be an "issue" and then all the other idiots followed behind. The rear shock is fine, trust me I had this bike. The wheels are also fine, no need to change them at all. I can honestly say the only thing you can change would be the stem, post, bars, saddle and grips.... I put crank brothers cobalt 3 and a fzik and it was the BOMB.

To be honest with you, depending on your size, it will be very difficult to find a Niner or Spez 2nd hand at this time. Most guys stretch their budgets to buy these bikes in the first place and wont want to take the knock selling them 2nd hand... and if you do, you better be QUICK! or it will be gone in a couple of minutes.

My Spark Elite with upgrades sold at price of 30% less than retail sold under 24 hours since positing on the hub. And i had guys fighting about it.

Race orientated dual suspension would really only be the Epic, Spark 29er or Cannondale Scalpel....

Good luck with your search, can't go wrong with the Spark, Spez, or Scalpel's....

Edited by TheV

Scott Spark Elite 29er is the best value for money in the +-R 20k price range. Forget your worries about the rear shock, some idiot writer found that to be an "issue" and then all the other idiots followed behind. The rear fork is fine, trust me I had this bike. The wheels are also fine, no need to change them at all. I can honestly say the only thing you can change would be the stem, post, bars, saddle and grips.... I put crank brothers cobalt 3 and a fzik and it was the BOMB.

To be honest with you, depending on your size, it will be very difficult to find a Niner or Spez 2nd hand at this time. Most guys stretch their budgets to buy these bikes in the first place and wont want to take the knock selling them 2nd hand... and if you do, you better be QUICK! or it will be gone in a couple of minutes.

My Spark Elite with upgrades sold at price of 30% less than retail sold under 24 hours since positing on the hub. And i had guys fighting about it.

Race orientated dual suspension would really only be the Epic, Spark 29er or Cannondale Scalpel....

Good luck with your search, can't go wrong with the Spark, Spez, or Scalpel's....

That has to be the most clear, concise and coherent answer to a question that I have seen thus far!

TheV, please change your name to The Oracle - I have so many questions...:-)

That has to be the most clear, concise and coherent answer to a question that I have seen thus far!

TheV, please change your name to The Oracle - I have so many questions...:-)

I have one question, whats a rear fork?

Scott Spark Elite 29er is the best value for money in the +-R 20k price range. Forget your worries about the rear shock, some idiot writer found that to be an "issue" and then all the other idiots followed behind. The rear fork is fine, trust me I had this bike. The wheels are also fine, no need to change them at all. I can honestly say the only thing you can change would be the stem, post, bars, saddle and grips.... I put crank brothers cobalt 3 and a fzik and it was the BOMB.

Well said that man. I also have a Scott Spark Elite 29er and I also read the one review saying the DT Swiss rear shock wasn't up to scratch and that Scott should go the Fox route. I agree everyone jumped on the bandwagon and now after someone noticed Evans and George racing Epic with Fox shocks on their Sparks, suddenly you mustn't touch a Spark because of the rear shock? Rubbish!

I owned two Giant Anthem's before the Scott and I agree that both (Fox RP2 and RP23 at the back) gave a more plush ride than the Spark. But the Spark climbs a LOT better and has a far more aggressive and responsive setup and feel. As a race bike I far pefer it to my Giant. I ride the Spark like a hardtail 80% of the time (i.e. locked out) but on rough downhills or bumpy tracks opening the shocks makes it more than forgiving and compliant enough.

The wheelset is absolutley fine although the Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres and VERY thin tubes are only good for training rides. I did upgrade my wheelset (ZTR Arch on Hope hubs which I use for races only) but apart from that everything else is standard. This bike was good enough to take me to a top 25 overall position in the recent 3 day Garden Route 300 as a 85+kg veteran who trained 30 hours a month in the two months prior to the race. My point being that this bike is more than good enough for 90% of riders out there and at the price point I don't think there is anything to come close to it (even with the extra cost of the upgraded wheelset). Total bike weight is 12.5 kg all in for a large frame.

Spez make great bikes but IMO you certainly pay a premium for the brand that I can't justify. I don't know enough about the Niner to comment. Merida and Giant also offer great bang for buck new.

Edited to add: Second hand MTB's are a minefield. You can buy a lot cheaper than new but a few weeks later suddenly you need to replace the complete drive train and that's R4k, the fork needs servicing and that's R1k etc etc and before you know it that bargain costs as much as a new bike.

Edited by sometime

I owned two Giant Anthem's before the Scott and I agree that both (Fox RP2 and RP23 at the back) gave a more plush ride than the Spark. But the Spark climbs a LOT better and has a far more aggressive and responsive setup and feel.

The reason it climbs better is because its a 29er

Edited by Cavendish

The reason it climbs better is because its a 29er

True to an extent but what I'm referring to in the context of the rear shock was that I felt a lot of energy being lost in the plush suspension of the Anthems on long climbs (even in Pro Pedal) which I feel I don't get on the Spark. I see the same when I watch 29er Anthem's climbing - too much bob.

Well said that man. I also have a Scott Spark Elite 29er and I also read the one review saying the DT Swiss rear shock wasn't up to scratch and that Scott should go the Fox route. I agree everyone jumped on the bandwagon and now after someone noticed Evans and George racing Epic with Fox shocks on their Sparks, suddenly you mustn't touch a Spark because of the rear shock? Rubbish!

I owned two Giant Anthem's before the Scott and I agree that both (Fox RP2 and RP23 at the back) gave a more plush ride than the Spark. But the Spark climbs a LOT better and has a far more aggressive and responsive setup and feel. As a race bike I far pefer it to my Giant. I ride the Spark like a hardtail 80% of the time (i.e. locked out) but on rough downhills or bumpy tracks opening the shocks makes it more than forgiving and compliant enough.

The wheelset is absolutley fine although the Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres and VERY thin tubes are only good for training rides. I did upgrade my wheelset (ZTR Arch on Hope hubs which I use for races only) but apart from that everything else is standard. This bike was good enough to take me to a top 25 overall position in the recent 3 day Garden Route 300 as a 85+kg veteran who trained 30 hours a month in the two months prior to the race. My point being that this bike is more than good enough for 90% of riders out there and at the price point I don't think there is anything to come close to it (even with the extra cost of the upgraded wheelset). Total bike weight is 12.5 kg all in for a large frame.

Spez make great bikes but IMO you certainly pay a premium for the brand that I can't justify. I don't know enough about the Niner to comment. Merida and Giant also offer great bang for buck new.

Edited to add: Second hand MTB's are a minefield. You can buy a lot cheaper than new but a few weeks later suddenly you need to replace the complete drive train and that's R4k, the fork needs servicing and that's R1k etc etc and before you know it that bargain costs as much as a new bike.

Agreed... congrats on your good placing, Scott is a great racing bike. Spez are special, but you have to fork out loads of cash and then still upgrade the heck out of it because they like to mix components....X7/X9/XT like crazy mixes sometimes... dont get that....

Agreed... congrats on your good placing, Scott is a great racing bike. Spez are special, but you have to fork out loads of cash and then still upgrade the heck out of it because they like to mix components....X7/X9/XT like crazy mixes sometimes... dont get that....

Thanks

To be fair Spez have got better at their component mix. I remember the first Spez Epics. XTR rear der. XT cranks, crappy shifters and Deore FD! But ignorant buyers look at the RD and buy based on that!

I'd choose any bike that has xt brakes. Lol

+1

XT 2012 with ICETEC rotors are the BOSS!!! thats how i roll....