Ballpark 2nd hand prices

True to an extent but what I'm referring to in the context of the rear shock was that I felt a lot of energy being lost in the plush suspension of the Anthems on long climbs (even in Pro Pedal) which I feel I don't get on the Spark. I see the same when I watch 29er Anthem's climbing - too much bob.

Too much bob is down to poor setup, nothing to do with the quality of the suspension. Giant's Maestro design is very well regarded. Of course, with the popularity of the Anthem X 29, you are bound to see lots of badly set up bikes.

Too much bob is down to poor setup, nothing to do with the quality of the suspension. Giant's Maestro design is very well regarded. Of course, with the popularity of the Anthem X 29, you are bound to see lots of badly set up bikes.

You're probably right about that.

I currently have a dual sus 26er, but I've been toying with the idea of getting a 29er as well. As things stand, I'm expecting some cash to come in in the next couple of months, so I've been doing some e-window shopping.

I'm looking for a dual sus, cross country, race oriented bike, with X9 / XT group and tubeless.

Amongst the new bikes, The Scott Sparc Elite is in budget, but I'd need to replace the rear shock and the wheels. Not too keen on Axis et al.

So the other option is to look at the secondhand market and I believe I'll find much better bang for my buck there. Based on some research, I'd ideally like a Niner Jet or a Spez Epic comp. Unfortunately these don't pop up every second day, so the question is whether it's worth waiting for one or to look at the new bike market.

From my experience 2nd hand is usually about 50% of new, and then increase based on condition. It is a buyers market...