Damn, was hoping for another wildlife MTB vid to go viral…

Tumbleweed

Buffalo risk to Mr Price Karkloof Classic riders averted

Howick – The thousands of mountain bikers descending on the Mr Price Karkloof Classic MTB festival this weekend will be able to tackle the popular routes through the forests without fear of confronting a massive bull buffalo that was darted and safely removed from the area this week.

The one-ton male buffalo wandered into the Sappi forests from the nearby Karkloof Spa reserve, apparently attracted by the succulent grass close to the Karkloof Falls, negotiating a steep path down cliffs that rangers thought would not be manageable for these vast creatures.

After a week or two of grazing peacefully in the forestry lands, the organisers of the Mr Price Karkloof Classic agreed that it was necessary to deal with the animal, which could pose a risk to MTB riders particularly if the animal becomes stressed by the hype of the massive MTB festival.

"It is a wild animal, and it deserves respect," says management forester Bernie Herbst. "He was pretty chilled while he was here but there was no way of predicting what would have happened when the thousands of mountain bikers arrived."

Rangers from the Karkloof Spa darted the massive bull, and with the help of twelve men, loaded him onto a stretcher and then a flatbed trailer to transport him to a new boma that will ensure that he remains where he can be managed.

"Six months ago there were two buffalo that came across from the reserve to graze, and they also had to be darted and taken back to the reserve," said Herbst.

"I have a sneaking feeling they will be back at some stage!" he added. "But not this weekend."

The Albert Falls reserve hit global headlines last year when a red hartebees which went onto worldwide stardom as Buck Norris collided with elite Team Jeep mountain biker Evan van der Spuy during a regional race.

The Karkloof Classic MTB Festival gets underway on Friday evening with the Peri Night Race, with Saturday seeing the STIHL Karkloof Enduro and STIHL KZN MTB Schools Lap Race taking place and the Mr Price Karkloof Classic, aQuellé 40km Half Marathon, aQuellé 20km Family Ride and aQuellé 10km Kids Ride all happening on Sunday 22 April. More info can be found at www.karkloofmtb.co.za

hahaha.. useless info... i was the hippo :P

Geecee - not cool! :/

I fell for it.

Got all excited for nothing.

:'(

and yes clearly my hippo noises arent so great :D