New bike advice

Wipeout2

thanks V I will give them a call, here is another hopefully better format on the spec comp (is this really worth the additional just short of R4K)

did not work......but basically the question is, is this "better" equipment worth the additional ZAR's, which I suppose you already answered....but why...does it respond better...durable...etc

+1 for what mayhem is saying...

in terms of the extra 4k, is it worth it... yes, basically it is...

You get:

REBA Tapered vs Recon Silver Forks Standard - better performance and less flex - it's really good...

And you get XT/SLX/Avid 5s v.s SLX/DEORE/Avid 1 components.

And the total weight difference is 1KG between the bikes which is about 7.4% or so difference.

Basically better forks, tapered forks, better brakes, and much better drive train.. XT12 crankset and rear mech is the BOMB...

+1 for what mayhem is saying...

in terms of the extra 4k, is it worth it... yes, basically it is...

You get:

REBA Tapered vs Recon Silver Forks Standard - better performance and less flex - it's really good...

And you get XT/SLX/Avid 5s v.s SLX/DEORE/Avid 1 components.

And the total weight difference is 1KG between the bikes which is about 7.4% or so difference.

Basically better forks, tapered forks, better brakes, and much better drive train.. XT12 crankset and rear mech is the BOMB...

Plus 10,000...

The REBA is a beauuuuuuutiful fork. I have one now, and am only getting rid of it 'cos I want a Revelation (more travel, basically a big Reba) It performs sublimely, and will be infinitely better than the Recon silver.

Nothing wrong with the SLX rear mech, but the clincher is the better brakeset & crank. FAR more stiffness & reliability from the SLX crank than the Deore, even though new (last year's) Deore is pretty damn good itself.

The Elixir 5's are gold... they really are brilliant brakes (don't listen to others saying they're crap, they're just slightly more needy ito maintenance, and need to be bled properly when they are bled) and if they can stop me on a dime, they can stop you on a dime...

Go for the better bike. You will be better off. And it will waylay the upgrade monkey for a few more months... That's worth a lot in itself.

thanks to all. I will check out the availability & price on the elite & then make a decision........thanks again

Most definitely worth the extra bucks now. Upgrading later is sooo much more expensive, ant the upgrades are well worth R4k.

Hi all, thanks to all those that helped....I ended up with the Scott Team, as belive it or not nobody but nobody could get me a Scott Elite XL (in fact the bike shops said stock is a real issue & if they had more stock they would make more sales) based on the advice I was willing to spend the extra for the extra. Maybe for my next upgrade I will have more patience to wait around.

I took my new bike out to the vlei track in Alberton, it was great, but I need to adjust my shocks (it was agony...extremely hard shocks, almost no absorbtion)

Thanks again to those that contributed

If you can, put some money aside for a wheel upgrade. It will make a big difference. Hope hubs with a decent rim like Stans Flow...

If you can, put some money aside for a wheel upgrade. It will make a big difference. Hope hubs with a decent rim like Stans Flow...

Tell me more about how better wheels help please.