Pricing of a second hand trek 1200

Danno

Hey guys

i was riding my friends trek 1200 (shamano set) to lectures last month and it got stolen, this means i have to replace it. he bought it second hand, at an acclaimed cost of R6000.

at the time it was stolen, the brakes where a little worn and would need replacing, but everything else was good.

what would a fair cash settlement i can give him? its coming between our friendship.

thanks for the help.

Danno

Hey guys

i was riding my friends trek 1200 (shamano set) to lectures last month and it got stolen, this means i have to replace it. he bought it second hand, at an acclaimed cost of R6000.

at the time it was stolen, the brakes where a little worn and would need replacing, but everything else was good.

what would a fair cash settlement i can give him? its coming between our friendship.

thanks for the help.

Danno

If your friend paid R6000-00 second hand for the bike he was ripped off,but unfortionately whatever anyone might say or suggest,comment or recommend......it's now a cash settlement between you and...............what your friend will accept .............o fcourse to to keep the friendship.

Maybe a bit more detail or year model groupset will also help,if I am not mistaken the 1200 was fitted with 9SP Tiagra?

Edited by baie-sukkel

Ah thanks for the quick reply, unfortunantly we both dont know much about the bike, i presume it would have the stock components, so therefor it would be Tiagra.

i presume if he bought it second had 2 years ago, it must be pre 2009?

still any indication you can give me? even the rate at which bikes depreciate?

Ah thanks for the quick reply, unfortunantly we both dont know much about the bike, i presume it would have the stock components, so therefor it would be Tiagra.

i presume if he bought it second had 2 years ago, it must be pre 2009?

still any indication you can give me? even the rate at which bikes depreciate?

A bicycle depreciate quicker than what a ballon can de-flate when you nail it with a big sharp blade. The Trek 1200 has been coming for many years. 2003 onwards( un - correction ) . I just sold a 3 year old bike that cost me R58k to build with great difficulty for R22.5k so, your frieds bike will then be worth not a lot I am affraid,I would say to be generous and realistic,if you give him R3.5 max,it would be a good deal for him,but it's your friendship here,so good luck.

Have a look at this Trek 1200 that is in the classifieds for R5k and IMO that is too much. R2,5-R3k would be fair but it would have to be in VERY good condition.

For the sake of your friendship, listen to baie sukkel.

Have a look at this Trek 1200 that is in the classifieds for R5k and IMO that is too much. R2,5-R3k would be fair but it would have to be in VERY good condition.

For the sake of your friendship, listen to baie sukkel.

And I agree 100% Grebels price for the bike if it was in excellent condition

rather than give him cash, can't you buy him a replacement bike same as (or close to) the one that was stolen?

It doesn't matter to him what you pay for it as long as he gets a bike back and you might find a bargain? Its not as if you'd be ripping him off - just making the best of a bad (you were robbed) situation?

rather than give him cash, can't you buy him a replacement bike same as (or close to) the one that was stolen?

It doesn't matter to him what you pay for it as long as he gets a bike back and you might find a bargain? Its not as if you'd be ripping him off - just making the best of a bad (you were robbed) situation?

we have been looking, but due to our in experience, we dont know what bike would be a worthy replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

we have been looking, but due to our in experience, we dont know what bike would be a worthy replacement.

In that case buy the cheapest one!