What to buy with 10k? New or Used? Pls help

Rainierk

USED, you'll be surprised what you can get. many people buy nice bikes to hang in the garage.

You'll be even more surprised if you don't know what your getting!

And you admit to that on a public forum?

I have repeatedly admitted on many occasions on this same forum that name brands and feeling the need to always be better than the Joneses does not appeal to me in the slightest.

Your attitude, which is precisely what I have also pointed out on numerous occasions, is sad. We don't all feel the need to spend R70,000 on the latest bike and another R20,000 on the latest kit just so that we look the part. Some us us enjoy our riding just as much on our cheap bikes, if not more so as we don't have to endlessly worry about breaking it or having it stolen. If pointing fingers and laughing at someone, who does not have a bike they had to take a loan for, makes you feel superior then have fun.

Upgrading your fork to Air, would be around R3600 for RockShox Recon. Very rarely works out cheaper to upgrade groupsets or suspension afterwords if you compare the price of the upgrades + value of your bike to what you can get for a new bike at that combined value.

My fork is already an air fork. As stated it is probably the only thing, after 9 months of riding it, that I would possibly think about upgrading but that was said just to put into perspective how the bike is more than suitable. I have no intention of upgrading.

USED, you'll be surprised what you can get. many people buy nice bikes to hang in the garage.

I always have a peek through the classifieds and I reckon that bargains are more scarce than some make out. It seems at the entry level most folk have "only ridden 100km in a year" and expect to get the same price they paid for the bike. You are far better off timing your bike purchases towards the end of a year and buying "new old model clearance" bikes when the shops are making space for the new models.

Edited by Clint_ZA