Winter slump - what can I do to keep my training in winter going?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enter a nice big expensive race with a younger/faster team mate. It should take place after winter, like Wine 2 Whales, To Hell & Back......Then you'll simply have to put the miles/hours in during winter. Get proper winter gear, thermals, booties, buff, gloves, windproof jacket, leg and arm warmers....Sommer buy really expensive Assos stuff, then it'll motivate you even more. Once you are out there fantasizing about how you're going to kick arse come springtime, it becomes fun. Also, you'll soon enough find a couple of other crazies doing the same thing and wanting to gang up....more motivation.

Im actually increasing my riding atm, but then starting from a very low level.

G

Enter a nice big expensive race with a younger/faster team mate. It should take place after winter, like Wine 2 Whales, To Hell & Back......Then you'll simply have to put the miles/hours in during winter. Get proper winter gear, thermals, booties, buff, gloves, windproof jacket, leg and arm warmers....Sommer buy really expensive Assos stuff, then it'll motivate you even more. Once you are out there fantasizing about how you're going to kick arse come springtime, it becomes fun. Also, you'll soon enough find a couple of other crazies doing the same thing and wanting to gang up....more motivation.

+1 - nothing like spending money to get you inspired again :thumbup:

BUY some warm clothing! Really spend some money on that cause its once of and will keep you warm during cold rides. If you don't dress warm you can just as well forget about using inspiration cause it will simply be to cold! Just man up and ride your bike, after 5min you will have adapted to the cold

Edited by Chriswm

BUY some warm clothing! Really spend some money on that cause its once of and will keep you warm during cold rides. If you don't dress warm you can just as well forget about using inspiration cause it will simply be to cold! Just man up and ride your bike, after 5min you will have adapted to the cold

Yup! Yellow booties for your mountain bike and a buff to catch the snot running from you nose should keep you motivated!

+1 to entering a challenging/expensive event, buying some good warm/wet gear, and HTFU.

At 7am when it's cold and p*ssing down, any or all of those may help .... or you may just toss the alarm and go back to sleep like I did today ;)

I've entered for 50-miler and Karoo to Coast. Contemplating To Hell and Back and knowing the One Tonner looms early in Spring. Think I've got enough to motivate me to keep going.

But where's the balance for you guys between "this is a training day, I go ride" and "don't want to get sick by riding in this sheet"? The latter esp if (the usual, for me in winter, from sucking in cold air on the bike) sore throat is already around and you're starting to get some cold symptoms... I tend to then rather stay at home, because a serious cold (not even talking about flu) can set you back a lot.

I've entered for 50-miler and Karoo to Coast. Contemplating To Hell and Back and knowing the One Tonner looms early in Spring. Think I've got enough to motivate me to keep going.

But where's the balance for you guys between "this is a training day, I go ride" and "don't want to get sick by riding in this sheet"? The latter esp if (the usual, for me in winter, from sucking in cold air on the bike) sore throat is already around and you're starting to get some cold symptoms... I tend to then rather stay at home, because a serious cold (not even talking about flu) can set you back a lot.

I heard one piece of advice - if a cold is in your head/throat, it's ok to go train, when it hits your chest rather take it easy and rest. I generally follow this although I have sometimes gone training when I had a chest cough just to give the legs a spin, but then I pay close attention to my HR and won't push it anywhere close to the red line - just take it easy and enjoy a nice LSD ride.

Overall - listen to your body, if you feel too sick to train, don't. If you feel ok, get out there and ride - but if you do skip a few days because of low motivation, don't beat yourself up. Use it to toughen your resolve for the next session.

Enter the JOCK :)

Must admit, that is very tempting! Doubt it is a race where you can wing it though...

Must admit, that is very tempting! Doubt it is a race where you can wing it though...

Then pick a stage :P