2004 Golf 4 1.6 - help

shersingh

Hi All

I hope some one can assist with this problem.

My younger brother owns a 2004 Golf 4 1.6 (2 door model).

Recently it started acting up:

* Firstly it would switch off while driving, then as that problem occured more frequently the revs would get stuck tat just above 4000 rpm and then the car would switch off. This would be just as it reaches its normal operating temperature. After some difficulty and repeated trying the car would eventually start again.

The accelerator cable has been checked while the revs are up, but it moves freely, no sgin of it being jammed anywhere.

So here's what we have done, as suggested by a mechanic:

1. Cleaned the throttle body and airflow sensor just after the air box.

2. Replaced the crank sensor.

3. Replaced the spark plug leads.

The revs dont get stuck as often but car still just switches off. There is however a strong smell that comes from the catalytic converters when the car switches off. It has been sugested that the car needs to be de-cated. Would this help??? The car is stock standard except for a set of 17" rims.

Any advice would be greatly appreacited.

Thanks

Hey,

So there are a few things you can try here. I have had similar issues with my GTi... Get someone to check the fuel pressure when running, its a mission but it can be the problem that the fuel pump is failing (i had that happen). Also the airflow sensor being cleaned and being replaced have very different results.. have you had the car scanned for faults? That would be my first bet, swing past a VW dealer and ask them to scan it, 5 mins max and they will tell you anything and everything that is wrong.

Hi, we have had the car on a diagnostic check up with two different mechanics and the only fault picked up was the airflow meter.

Would a diagnostic carried out by a VW dealership bring up different results?

I will look into the fuel pump tho.

thanks

have the same car.

and had a similar issue of the car just randomly switching off. what i done was took the throttle body off, and cleaned thoroughly. we had a airflow meter fault come up which we cleared then would get throttle body fault codes. but once we had given the throttle body a good clean it hasn't switch off since.

my car was also due a service which we done.its now 100%.

at the time i was looking at replacing the throttle body, but it can/could be the airflow meter too.

either is quite pricey the latter a bit more.

Hi

By the sounds of things it's your air mass sensor. My TDi had a similar problem, it would accelerate up to a certain point and then the poweerrrrrrrrrr would drop away. Had it checked at the AMS was faulty. R4000 later prob solved. Bosch Diesel Electric has them for cheaper but you're better off buying original.

Best to have a proper engine code scan done with a VAG system.

But do not overlook the engine temp sender unit.Many times a culprit on Golf 4 and Polo models.Just do not buy a pirate replacement!!