Should the Pyro2000/Magicshine MJ880 get a flash/strobe mode?

Bike Lore

To flash or not to flash  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Magicshine add a flash/strobe mode to the Pyro2000/MJ880

• Yes. Replace a mode with flash/strobe mode
    • Yes. but pushing two buttons should activate it.
    • no, not neaded. who ever uses the flash/strobe mode

Batteries nowadays are Li-Ion. There is no excuse for running out of batteries.

Most batteries only last 2 and a half hours(at the most), so there is every chance on that 3 hours ride you will be left with no light.

Most batteries only last 2 and a half hours(at the most), so there is every chance on that 3 hours ride you will be left with no light.

So that counts the morning rides out then. You would have to start riding at 3am to run out of light. That leaves the night rides.... 'spose that is a possibility. You would knoe the specs of your battery though so if you are planning to be out at night for 3 hrs, you would obviously have a backup light or a spare battery. Riding that close to the limit of your battery's life would make you a dumbass. Taking for granted that you would charge your battery prior to every long ride of course...)

Alternatively you can run on mid to save power and extend your battery life. There is a difference obviously but not that much. On road it wouldn't really make that much difference. Off road it may be another issue though.

Not on dim, which is better to see by than a strobe, if you really want to have a strobe then get a tiny Ryder light or something for visibility...

Keep a charger at work and one at home, charge either end. They are R50 bucks or something, if you can afford a 2K light then get two chargers.

Forgetting to charge a light shouldn't be a concern of a high power light and SOS modes, OK if you said you need iti n case you break your leg in a forest and are signalling the Canadian mounties sure, fire away, but it would be nice to tuck this mode out of the normal array of useful modes.

So that counts the morning rides out then. You would have to start riding at 3am to run out of light. That leaves the night rides.... 'spose that is a possibility. You would knoe the specs of your battery though so if you are planning to be out at night for 3 hrs, you would obviously have a backup light or a spare battery. Riding that close to the limit of your battery's life would make you a dumbass. Taking for granted that you would charge your battery prior to every long ride of course...)

Alternatively you can run on mid to save power and extend your battery life. There is a difference obviously but not that much. On road it wouldn't really make that much difference. Off road it may be another issue though.

I need to get a spare battery for night rides on the MTB. I also just plan the night ride, get an hour of daylight before then two hours at night(just to be safe)

For road riding I use other smaller Cateye lights, one on the front and two for the rear, both rear lights can stay solid, blink across the 4 LED lights or constant blinking. The front I only use on strobe, also a Cateye light.

Not on dim, which is better to see by than a strobe, if you really want to have a strobe then get a tiny Ryder light or something for visibility...

Keep a charger at work and one at home, charge either end. They are R50 bucks or something, if you can afford a 2K light then get two chargers.

Forgetting to charge a light shouldn't be a concern of a high power light and SOS modes, OK if you said you need iti n case you break your leg in a forest and are signalling the Canadian mounties sure, fire away, but it would be nice to tuck this mode out of the normal array of useful modes.

After ten years of commuting in London, I now no longer commute. So if I'm going for a ride on the MTB(in the bush) its always fully charged before, then for road training its all smaller lights that take a duracell battery(not Li-ion)

There you go... Commuter lights are made for commuters commuting... cheap as chips and easy to stop at the 7Eleven if you run out of AA power.

Pyro lights are made to burn squirrels out of trees and to bomb down singletrack as if the sun was out. Unless you are making a youtoob clip of an epileptic squirrel monkey they have no place on a 2000 (or 1000) lumen piece of kit.

There you go... Commuter lights are made for commuters commuting... cheap as chips and easy to stop at the 7Eleven if you run out of AA power.

Pyro lights are made to burn squirrels out of trees and to bomb down singletrack as if the sun was out. Unless you are making a youtoob clip of an epileptic squirrel monkey they have no place on a 2000 (or 1000) lumen piece of kit.

I hear you :thumbup: , but having it as an option is also not the end of the world, and could come in handy if really needed, some people can only afford 1 light, so it can become usefull.

yawn, is this what market research is these days? I don't see giant asking if we would like slx or xt derailleurs on their anthem x3 model.

this can be done in 5 lines of code. offer both if you can't decide between the two.

I need to get a spare battery for night rides on the MTB. I also just plan the night ride, get an hour of daylight before then two hours at night(just to be safe)

For road riding I use other smaller Cateye lights, one on the front and two for the rear, both rear lights can stay solid, blink across the 4 LED lights or constant blinking. The front I only use on strobe, also a Cateye light.

Running with the 900 Lumen light on the road, there really is a small difference in output. If you do a 3hr night ride you can conserve the power by switching modes on your light, Do the climbs on Low, the flats on Mid and bomb the singletrack on High. that way you have the power and enough light to get you home on time.

I hear you :thumbup: , but having it as an option is also not the end of the world, and could come in handy if really needed, some people can only afford 1 light, so it can become usefull.

Switching between modes while riding is where the strobe/SOS modes get in the way.... I am not saying it is useless. It will serve it's purpose (eventually I suppose) but I have a Blackburn Flea strapped to my bars in case I run out of battery power and need to get home and be seen.

Running with the 900 Lumen light on the road, there really is a small difference in output. If you do a 3hr night ride you can conserve the power by switching modes on your light, Do the climbs on Low, the flats on Mid and bomb the singletrack on High. that way you have the power and enough light to get you home on time.

Switching between modes while riding is where the strobe/SOS modes get in the way.... I am not saying it is useless. It will serve it's purpose (eventually I suppose) but I have a Blackburn Flea strapped to my bars in case I run out of battery power and need to get home and be seen.

Its OK for me and you that would think about these things, the masses probably don't/ won't, like the people that ride without any spares.

yawn, is this what market research is these days? I don't see giant asking if we would like slx or xt derailleurs on their anthem x3 model.

this can be done in 5 lines of code. offer both if you can't decide between the two.

Giant don't ask YOU...but they do ask someone...and your example is different... if Pyro said we'll put in a strobe for R100 more then that would be like SLX to XT - an upgrade and associated cost.

That's why I said what I said, hide it to be activated later if need be... long button push or whatever. just not in the mode scroll

Giant don't ask YOU...but they do ask someone...and your example is different... if Pyro said we'll put in a strobe for R100 more then that would be like SLX to XT - an upgrade and associated cost.

That's why I said what I said, hide it to be activated later if need be... long button push or whatever. just not in the mode scroll

Exactly this :thumbup: An option that can be used if really needed.

Its OK for me and you that would think about these things, the masses probably don't/ won't, like the people that ride without any spares.

Culling of the herd. Only the strong will survive. If you run out of battery life or have no spares, you deserve to walk home or get run over. (Except for a catastrophic failure of your battery pack or if you punctuyre on your second spare tube and have no patched left in your puncture repair kit. Yes I carry THAT many spares)