Springs - Cyclist killed

KnobbyMech

Loads of cyclists who ride on 30 000 rand bikes don't have lights. Very weird.

Darn, when I go out for a ride even during the day I keep one of those small flashing lights with me in case it gets dark too soon etc.

Happened to me once and I was sh*tt**ng myself so don't want that to happen again.

When it's night time and dark I use two proper rear lights and one huge front light (magshine) with a spare mini led one.

I am also thinking bout buying a yellow reflective vest even though my cycling top I wear is yellow.

Darn, when I go out for a ride even during the day I keep one of those small flashing lights with me in case it gets dark too soon etc.

Happened to me once and I was sh*tt**ng myself so don't want that to happen again.

When it's night time and dark I use two proper rear lights and one huge front light (magshine) with a spare mini led one.

I am also thinking bout buying a yellow reflective vest even though my cycling top I wear is yellow.

It boggles the mind, just stupid I guess.

I got a reflective vest from Nathan called "Streak" that works well. It's about R200 at Sportsmans and comes in a S/M and ML size. It's a smaller size vest so sits above jersey pockets for example and has place to write your ID and medical info. Give it a try

For sure, I have donated 2 sets of lights to some guys but who could one approach to try and get some sponsorship for the others?

2 Weeks ago a commuter was killed just down the road from me on a left bend, looked like the truck had gone tight into the corner and connected with the guy. Those lights are under R100 at Checkers Hyper (or whatever that place is in Westgate). Am also giving the guys some left over reflective tape for their bikes. Its sad that the government that supposedly does so much actually does so little for the very poor masses, you see all the sad stories about people living in shacks and toilets and then Fat Boy Zum Zum wants to buy a jet....

Was thinking the same. I think its more effective than lights as the reality is these guys don't have money to replace the batteries. I also saw at Cash Crusadors they have very cheap red lights (R13) - I actually have one (got it with my extreme light) and works well.

If any Hubber knows a commuter that cannot afford a light, please open your wallet a small bit and give him a light and some reflective tape.