clicking noise

Nofearnofun

Thanks all for the advise, After stripping I have found that I have the older square spindle. I also found that when assembled there is slimight movement from side to side.

Make sure the movement is not between the crank and crank axle, but between the crank axle and the bearing. That means you need a new BB since cartridge BBs cannot be adjusted. They are either good, or bad. Square taper BBs are excellent quality if you buy something like a Shimano UN-54 and it sells for a song. After stripping I have found that I have the older square spindle. I also found that when assembled there is slimight movement from side to side.

Edited by Johan Bornman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure the movement is not between the crank and crank axle, but between the crank axle and the bearing. That means you need a new BB since cartridge BBs cannot be adjusted. They are either good, or bad. Square taper BBs are excellent quality if you buy something like a Shimano UN-54 and it sells for a song. After stripping I have found that I have the older square spindle. I also found that when assembled there is slimight movement from side to side.

If the movement is between the axle and the arm is there a fix for that or does it mean replacing the whole crank?

If it is a slow clicking noise, like click Click. Click then it means you are going to slow, it should be click,click,click,click

Hi Guys,

I have a clicking noise that has developed when I pedal, the noise was getting louder and louder as I rode until someone sugested I spray Q20 into my BB and the noise stoped for a while. Any Idea's as to the seriousness of this noise, where to look and what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance!

If the movement is between the axle and the arm is there a fix for that or does it mean replacing the whole crank?

Grab both cranks and try to turn them in opposite directions. If they move relative to each other then the crank bolts are loose. Tighten them up and repeat the test. If they're still moving, at least one crank is shot and will need replacing.