Rear Hub Jumping ..?

markgc

Whats wrong here...was freewheeling and it felt like the rear hub was "jumping".. the sound was that of "tyre touching frame" but this was not the case... continued happening.

Wheels - Mavic Crossmax 29er

What is the diagnosis?

thanks

Edited by mrparx

Sounds like the freehub is jamming. Check Mavic's site for instructions on stripping and fixing, not too difficult. There's a nylon bushing in there that can wear, if it's shot you'll need a new one.

Whats wrong here...was freewheeling and it felt like the rear hub was "jumping".. the sound was that of "tyre touching frame" but this was not the case... continued happening.

Wheels - Mavic Crossmax 29er

What is the diagnosis?

thanks

This is a common mavic problem . Freehub needs a service. Probably dirty or bearings/bushes are shot. Easy to do yourself. You will need a 5 and a 10mm Allen key,some aerosol parts cleaner ( Motorex Easy clean is great) and a little bit of light hub oil. If you can get it Mavic hub oil is ideal but not easy to find , I use Motorex semi- bath oil. This is just to oil the freehub pawls and a small squirt in the hub body. While you are at it you may as well check your the hub bearings. you will also need some grease.

If you need some held I will show you how....it wall take all of 15 minutes max. I am in Parkview around the corner from you. PM me .

This is a common mavic problem . Freehub needs a service. Probably dirty or bearings/bushes are shot. Easy to do yourself. You will need a 5 and a 10mm Allen key,some aerosol parts cleaner ( Motorex Easy clean is great) and a little bit of light hub oil. If you can get it Mavic hub oil is ideal but not easy to find , I use Motorex semi- bath oil. This is just to oil the freehub pawls and a small squirt in the hub body. While you are at it you may as well check your the hub bearings. you will also need some grease.

If you need some held I will show you how....it wall take all of 15 minutes max. I am in Parkview around the corner from you. PM me .

thanks Frank, say hi to Brigid ! cheers mark