What MTB pedals????

tunariaan

Tuna to be honest....stick with your 540's, like I said they are basically XT's without the label and 1 x 5g lead pellet in each. You can do better upgrades with that money especially since SPD pedal and cockroaches are the only two things that can survive a atomic bomb.....FACT

Good advice.

Stick with the 540's, bud... they are super awesome pedals, and you can't beat them for the price. Anything lighter is just going to be, well, lighter. May as well just drill a few holes in the cage if you're worried about weight.

I have Shimano 520 on all my MTB's , but recently got a set of 540's, impressed so far.

Are the 540s worth the extra expense when compared to the 520s? What is the benefit?

EDIT: Buycycle shows R499 vs R289 as the price difference.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Are the 540s worth the extra expense when compared to the 520s? What is the benefit?

Weight

Go for XTR. Sure at about R 1200.00 its pricey, but look at what you get. They are maintenance free, weigh very little, bullet-proof and shed mud better than anything out there. Plus, they look awesome.

I love spd's and will stick with them for a lot of reasons but after last year's Trans Baviaans I would have to say that mud shedding is not one of them. Was also looking at Quartz. Apparently the setup is finicky but once done they are a pleasure... Won't know till you try I suppose.

Not really. No benefit other than weight and aesthetics. 520's are black and silver, 540's ust silver.

In this case, the benefit is that the guy already has te 540's

Go for XTR. Sure at about R 1200.00 its pricey, but look at what you get. They are maintenance free, weigh very little, bullet-proof and shed mud better than anything out there. Plus, they look awesome.

I've heard from pro's that the difference between xtr and xt is minimal and not worth the extra cash.

plus the xtr's are more fragile and start problems sooner than than the xt's.

on my scale my 7 year old 540's weigh the same as the new XTR's I've bought . both pair at 305g.

And the performance between the 2 feels the same (atleast for me it does)

So my opinion. XTR pedals are overrated. stick to 540's or go for XT