Buying first bike and need advice

mnb1411

I do a lot of my training in the Karoo just outside Middelburg.

If I lived there a 29er would be my bike of chioce.

I have ridden there with 29ers, all three that I had, and they are very well suited to the type of terrain you get in the Karoo.

At one point I had two 29ers and one 26" and I always took one of the 29ers to Karoo weekends.

buy the one you like the most. the rest don't matter really. if you like your ride you will ride more

Would you choose that second hand over the new Silverback Alpine for R1750 more?

EDIT: I was looking at the groupset but I see now it is carbon. I know it is not all about weight but even then it is only 11.4kg vs 12.4kg.

No, i wouldn't.

I just stumbled upon this deal at sportsmanswarehouse.

Merida Matts TFS 500-D - R6999

It has Rockshox XC30 Poplock 100mm fork compared to the SB's Rockshox Recon Silver Air ( not sure which one's better)

Its a 30 speed compared to SB's 27speed.

On most websites its selling for R8000 and above.

Is this a better deal than the SB?

It has Rockshox XC30 Poplock 100mm fork compared to the SB's Rockshox Recon Silver Air ( not sure which one's better)

I reckon the Merida is a slightly better frame. The Recon is the better fork though. But the bigger selling point is the new tech gear train versus the old. For heavier riders 9 speed does last longer than 10 speed.

BTW, you usually only count the gear ratios at the back - therefore the terminology is 10 speed versus 9 speed. ;)

BTW, you usually only count the gear ratios at the back - therefore the terminology is 10 speed versus 9 speed. ;)

You pros do :) Us plebs still refer to 21, 24, 27 speed... we don't refer to 30 speed a lot as we don't come in contact with them all to often.

No. The RECON is a far better fork than the xc30, and the 9 speed drivetrain has nothing wrong with it.