Cederberg - Sanddrif

JdB

Spent a couple of days in Sanddrif. They have some epic trails that have been cut into the mountains and rocky outcrops. Some of the downhills are the most technical I have encountered anywhere in the Western Cape. For those looking for something different, this is truly a great outing.

Keen to do that. My only Cederberg expedition was riding solo from ceris to Cederberg Oasis and back over 2 days in the middle of summer. I almost died. ran out of water 2 hours before the finish.. no cellphone reception, no people no shade.

As jy dom is moet jy ***.

the last climb before the oasis was this beast..and then back up the next day. but there are about 5 of those, Including Gaydo pass on the way out of ceris.

post-1279-0-07509800-1342124487.jpg

post-1279-0-74450400-1342124587.jpg

I am planning 3 days of riding in Cederberg based at Sandrif. Over the last few years we have done a lot of riding in the area and I am looking for new routes. JdB, you don't perhaps have GPS/Garmin tracks of the routes you cycled around Sandrif?

I am planning 3 days of riding in Cederberg based at Sandrif. Over the last few years we have done a lot of riding in the area and I am looking for new routes. JdB, you don't perhaps have GPS/Garmin tracks of the routes you cycled around Sandrif?

Do have an endomondo for one full route and one half route (cell died!!) ... the area is pretty well marked for MTB and they have a couple of good maps. Not sure what you are after, there are at least 50km of routes just at the Sanddrif area itself.

How long dit it take you from ceres to the oasis?

A long time :) I did carry a10kg backpack though. I left ceris at 5am. Got to "op die berg" which is 40km on at about7am.. waited for the shop to open, bought food and set on to the oasis. There is another 15km of tar road before getting to the dirtroad, from there It is 50 km of dessert. the first 20 odd Km is pretty flat but gets hot! I hit this around 11 in the morning, and In Feb that is already 30deg..I arrived around 2pm..broken

Bos, I did that gravel road to Sanddrif in April and would believe you nearly died. It is pretty much dead quiet, but awesome beautiful.

With regards to the Sanddrif trails, you really don't need gps routes. There are several loops with short cuts so you can decide how long you want to ride. And if you like technical terrain, you'll have fun!

+1 for trails around Sanddrif - loved them!

Apparently there are some other trails just up the valley at the next/previous campsite. I forgot the name, but worth investigating.

Cederberg wines.... hmmmmm