Cycling to work - Old Mutual (Pinelands)

Solvit

Hi guys, I live in Durbanville (Pinehurst) and would like to *attempt* to cycle to work (old Mutual Park, in Pinelands) during the coming warmer months. Anyone else out my way Durbanville Surrounds (AKA Cycling Mekka) that's currently doing this (or has in the past) ?

Would like to know:

-best routes

-where to bike park (safety?)

-shower (I suppose I will need to join the gym for this)

-etc.

Thanks in advance!

I think your best bet would be going down Frans Conradie through Boston all the way to N1 city, then left through Goodwood via Milton(which has a bicycle shoulder) all the way to the N7, then via Grandwest area through Thornton to Mutualpark...

I have met another guy on the road coming from Durbanville via Jip De Jager going down to Francie van Zyl using that road all the way(past a bit of Dodge Elsies/Avonwood) into Epping Industria to Jan Smuts...

I park my bike at the gym, they have a bike park...have not had any problems to date...I am a gym member so I shower that side...We however do have showers in my office being OMIGSA west end...

I think your best bet would be going down Frans Conradie through Boston all the way to N1 city, then left through Goodwood via Milton(which has a bicycle shoulder) all the way to the N7, then via Grandwest area through Thornton to Mutualpark...

I have met another guy on the road coming from Durbanville via Jip De Jager going down to Francie van Zyl using that road all the way(past a bit of Dodge Elsies/Avonwood) into Epping Industria to Jan Smuts...

I park my bike at the gym, they have a bike park...have not had any problems to date...I am a gym member so I shower that side...We however do have showers in my office being OMIGSA west end...

Yes, I was thinking similar route. thanks for the info! I will have to join the gym. I reckon with all the stops and it being peak time, I will most probably have to bargain for about 90 minutes travel time one way. and also make sure my hospital is still in place!

Yep, parking the bike at the gym outside is fine. bring a bike lock, i leave my lock at the gym front desk, saves me from forgetting to bring it.

Showers, at the gym ofcourse. I havent been to the old club house in years, so not sure of the showers there.

In summer i come in from the Southern Suburbs.

Pretty awesome that OM has it's on cycling community.

There are showers on my floor but the gym works out better for me.

(I don't want to walk around in spandex).

Edited by Let's Ride

I just took a walk to the gym area. the 'bike park' has space for about 4 or 5 bikes. It does look very secure. I am just wondering how quickly these spot will 'fill up' in summer, and what the hell do you do when there is no open slots. Anyway, at this point it's just an idea. I am not sure if I will attempt it... might have to do the route on a weekend to check out best (safest) way to do this. Thanks for the input guys. I am hoping someone from side of the boerewors curtain will see this. always better to ride with someone. The best part is, in summer, the South Easter will be on my back! lol.

It doesn't get that busy in Summer, usually around 4 bikes (mine included sometimes lol)

I start at old mutual tomorrow so save one of those bike spots for me!

Which way you coming from? Are you also considering cycling to work? I better take a 'lease' on one of those bike racks it seems. What have I started!?! LOL!

We have about 3 guys in 3A who regularly commute from Durbanville/Bellville area. Best route option is probably via Jip de Jager, Hendrik Verwoerd Drive, Giel Basson, Frans Conradie route. If you are on a MTB and you want some extra miles you can go off-road via Mijik Forest then Tiekie draai (Durbanville Road) then cut through Burgundy Estate onto Giel Basson.

The sports club showers are for free but they only open around 8am and some mornings it is really dirty if the guys played soccer the previous evening. Squash Club membership is cheaper than gym if all you want to do is shower.

There is also some bike parking space by east entrance side by revolving doors and it is still within the access controlled area of the building.

We have about 3 guys in 3A who regularly commute from Durbanville/Bellville area. Best route option is probably via Jip de Jager, Hendrik Verwoerd Drive, Giel Basson, Frans Conradie route. If you are on a MTB and you want some extra miles you can go off-road via Mijik Forest then Tiekie draai (Durbanville Road) then cut through Burgundy Estate onto Giel Basson.

The sports club showers are for free but they only open around 8am and some mornings it is really dirty if the guys played soccer the previous evening. Squash Club membership is cheaper than gym if all you want to do is shower.

There is also some bike parking space by east entrance side by revolving doors and it is still within the access controlled area of the building.

This is great news, I appreciate it. Are you able to PM me their names? It would be great to make contact with them if possible. (with their permission offcourse).