Training for Cape pioneer trek with a difference...

I finally decided that I'm tired of having no focused racing goals so gonna attempt the TREK.. but theres a bit of a twist to my approach.

You see I work in the offshore industry so training and facilities are limited.

I have been riding road and MTB for 3 years so have some sort of base in a sense

I bought a program from fittrack 16 week survivor kit..

At the moment doing 4-5 rides a week (with 2 gym sessions in that) on a very crap exercise bike using my HR monitor

I will be home early August for a week for some proper riding then I go away for 3-4 weeks and then should have 5-6 weeks at home to finish of the training before I try tackle the TREK

My rides are as focused with varying intensities but must admit there is no way I can do a 2-3 hr ride on the bike

After some of my hard hour rides my legs feel like they've done a 3 -4 hr ride

My plan is to just finish this one and see where that takes me

Has anyone tried something like this with limited quality training

My biggest concern is the time in the saddle factor that I'm losing out on at the moment.

Theoretically you can do it. The whole focus of training is shifting from quantity to quality. But you'll need a very focussed and specific training program.

Practically, IMO, I'm not too sure. You need to know how your body will react after spending 6 or 7 hours in the saddle on the long days. You'll get that confidence that you can push through when your body tells you that you can't. It's also good to expirement a bit in terms of what works best for recovery after such long rides. There are just some things that I'd think you would need to train for on long rides.

However, this isn't neccesarily a deal breaker. It's not impossible. I know a guy who ran the Comrades while he was in the army and they were only given 40 minutes a day to train for it. He finished, but he really suffered. The same could possible be true for you. You'll have to be ready mentally to really suffer each day.

Theoretically you can do it. The whole focus of training is shifting from quantity to quality. But you'll need a very focussed and specific training program.

Practically, IMO, I'm not too sure. You need to know how your body will react after spending 6 or 7 hours in the saddle on the long days. You'll get that confidence that you can push through when your body tells you that you can't. It's also good to expirement a bit in terms of what works best for recovery after such long rides. There are just some things that I'd think you would need to train for on long rides.

However, this isn't neccesarily a deal breaker. It's not impossible. I know a guy who ran the Comrades while he was in the army and they were only given 40 minutes a day to train for it. He finished, but he really suffered. The same could possible be true for you. You'll have to be ready mentally to really suffer each day.

I should have about 6 weeks before the race where I'll be at home to get some long rides in

Agreed mental toughness will be a big factor and believe me thats what it takes to train on the trainer that I'm using at the moment

I'm interested if there are guys tha have done this type of thing, I dont want to cram a massive amount of training in near the end either, but my taper might be a bit shorter

3 years ago I went from riding a desk all day and zero exercise to riding the TransBaviaans 4 months later. But I really suffered for 17.5 hours long. So anything is possible, but will you enjoy it?

If I may add a few tips: try to get long rides in now. A long ride a week before the CPT will probably not help much. Build your ability to ride for hours as soon as possible. The secret is to not ride like you've only got one hour. Start easy (heart rate under 70% of HRR) even if you feel strong. Closer to the time (2 weeks before) you should reduce the length of the rides gradually.

Also try to find out what nutrition works for you as early as possible as this may take time. Remember, what works for you may not work for someone else.

If all goes well, I'll see you at the Trek!

Anything is possible. I read somewhere that a guy did the Epic on 6 hours a week training. But he kakked. Ended up close to last. But he survived.

Then there are guys who entered the Epic the week before the race with no spesific training. And did well. BUT they were training all year long.

Advice? Difficult.

1. Be as light as possible. Drop every kilo you can. Say for instance you weigh 85kg and your bike is 15kg kitted up. That gives you 100kg. If you can loose 7kg's (On the bike and on your butt) you will have a 7% easier ride. Meaning you can do the same with a heart rate of 139 instead of 149.
  2. Lots of okes will tell you to go for quality over quantity. The problem is this only helps if you already have a base. And you can only get a base by doing many saddle hours. Catch 22.
  3. When you are able to train, do not be sacred of tarred roads. Tackle the looooong climbs. I have looked at the profiles. We are going to climb. We all like to ride mtb in the bush. Unfortunately this gives us a false sence of fitness.
  4. In the weeks you are able to train, train to train again the following day. No use to kill yourself on the one day, just to be buggered the next 3. Training when you are dog tired is useless.
  5. You seem to have a problem. But you will survive. Whether you think you can or can't, you are right.

See you there

Wapad, I also work in the offshore industry & trained for & participated in the Freedom Challenge while offshore.

Unfortunately I have yet to make it all the way to Wellington on that one but the 1st time I rode for 13 days & the 2nd time for 7, so for the purposes of this story it is still relevant. The FC involves at least 8 hours a day in the saddle & sometimes up to 15 or even all night if things go badly, then there's the 8-10kg pack with all your kit on your back.

I was training on the bike doing hard interval type stuff every day for 1-1 1/2 hours a day & I had less than 6 weeks before the start after I got home. 2 - 3 hours on an exercise bike is just not an option, unless there's some girls doing aerobics in the gym at the same time or something... Mindless stuff.

Judging by your user name & pic we don't live far apart & I reckon that's an awesome place to train for these races. My main thing while home was also to get some long rides in & also to get accustomed to the added weight of the bag, I'm not sure if this will be necessary on the Pioneer Trek though. Sore backside syndrome & the usual aches & pains from riding long hours are definitely the things you want to harden up to a bit before the race & can't be done on an exercise bike. That climb up Noordhoek via the wapad & Silvermine is a good one for that I reckon, I've always been able to easily string together a staunch 6 hour ride including that, the Arboretum & back over to my place in the Valley without much imagination.

My longest pre race ride was 9 hours the 1st year & 6 hours the 2nd year. You do swoeg a bit the 1st couple of days but by day 4 you are probably going to be ok if you get that far, as you say it's mainly in the mind. Get used to the thought of moving forward all day whether riding, pushing or carrying your bike until you get to the end of the leg. If you can do that you won't have any unpleasant suyrprises when after lunch you discover that you have maybe only covered half of what you need to do that day.

I am however told by those in the know (allegedly) that high energy intervals & strength training are the way to go, especially for us offshore types with no hills to ride on & limited training time. They tell me that you can go from that level of fitness attained on the rig to long distance endurance mamba in a relatively short time, less than the 6 weeks you have available.

Hey Thanks for the feedback

my biggest killer will be endurance, I ll be home for a week soon and will do a high mileage/time week before heading off again

When I get home I have a 6-7 week run where my first 3-4 weeks I'll put those long rides and then build in a taper

I have a certain amount of base and out here I have been concentrating on getting the riding hours in with 2 gym sessions per week already I can see the improvement i manage to get in 4 rides that give me 5 hrs with one ride a 45 min push and then a long ride, the thing is the resistance, it really takes it out of you.

My mental strength has definitely improved just from having a goal, I wont have a problem getting in 12 hrs a week if I can sit on that piece of s..t that I'm on out here... he he he

Was feeling a bit flat this week but just one full day rest made a massive difference

My main goal offshore is to maintain the discipline, I have been logging everything and the numbers are improving all the time

I reckon I'll be flying up the wapad to the mast as my Zwartberg Pass test when I get home

My goal is to finish thats it once thats in the bag I'll look at other goals or look to try again next year.

When are you home maybe we can do a ride or two I should be home 1 Aug

Edited by wapad

I'm only home round the 10th, but I'll drop you a line on here if I'm still around at the end of August. I'm recovering offshore from a broken collar bone sustained while home but should be good to go by my next leave.