buying a 29er - frame size

W@nna-BE

hey hubbers

i am buying a 29er, actually went to pick it up today, to my sadness the frame was too big for me!

i generally fit on a large, but on the 29er it seems i need a medium! i guess that makes sense and is normal??

Give it some time. If your first time it will feel odd on a 29er. What lenght are you and what bike is it?

mmm... you are the same height as me. border line medium / large. Could be interesting. Am sure some of the other guys here will pipe in. I have a large and a medium talon 29 frame. Rode the large a while. thought it too big in beginning but grew on me. rebuilt on the medium. feels too small now :) Am sure you will get used ot it. Will be 100% fine on all but the most hectic single track. What stem have you got on there. Play around with 50 and 70. I settled on 70 on the large. 50 was also alright. Have the 70 on the medium now.

Dont know if it is relevant. I ride a giant anthem 29er medium. I am 1,77m tall. According to the giant frame sizing I am at the limit for the frame. Any shorter and I should ride a small. You do get used to it quickly though. Not as critical as a road frame imho

thanks for the replies guys,

really not sure what to do !

the gent at the bike shop said he would not be happy selling me the large, even though i was there to collect it, i had to ride it up and down the entrance for him to check, guess he would not be saying that if he did not care....

guess i should maybe list to him.....?

i guess a medium frame would be easier to control either way?

also something to mention is when i was looking to buy my first MTB which is a large 26er, i was told by the guys at Mike's Bike's to go for a medium as well,

Hello people, you all speak about medium or large, this is inaccurate rather speak of actual sizes in inches. A giant medium is 18" and a Silverback medium is 16.5". I think a 29er should be a bit smaller than a 26er, the wheelbase is longer and the standover is a bit higher. If you feel that you are in between sizes go for another brand with the correct size.

Thanks Berg Bok, seems a large in the 29er is a 21" which seems to be too big, they are swapping for a 19" frame

yah i think you right Tubeless, especially with being a 29er a medium frame might be a lot easier for me to maneuver,

Im 1.75 and have a Momsen S which is 16" and fts like dream. I rode a M 26er before

Also going the 29er route and need some Hubbers expert advice please.

I am 1.94 ride a XL 26'er. Not sure if I should go for L or XL 29er.

Also going the 29er route and need some Hubbers expert advice please.

I am 1.94 ride a XL 26'er. Not sure if I should go for L or XL 29er.

I'm 1.9m and depending on the brand I am either XL or just between L and XL on a 29er. At your height definately XL

I'm 1.9m and depending on the brand I am either XL or just between L and XL on a 29er. At your height definately XL

Thanks sometime, first choice will be Scott.

Thanks sometime, first choice will be Scott.

My Scott is a L but I was right on the cusp between L and XL - the sizing charts said XL but I prefered the feel of the L - so your height would suggest an XL Scott.

My Giant is however an XL. There is only a 5mm top tube difference in length between the L Scott and the XL Giant.

Thanks Berg Bok, seems a large in the 29er is a 21" which seems to be too big, they are swapping for a 19" frame

The Medium Frame will make you smile. I'am 1.76 and on a Medium Cannondale Scalpel 29er, and feels just right.

I was actually thinking between Small/Medium, but went for medium.