SPD good enough for Road?

PokerFace

Currently I ride with SPD pedals on my Road bike. When I upgrade it would cost less to only replace my shoes instead of pedals and shoes. Is there any good reason why I should change from SPD?

Currently I ride with SPD pedals on my Road bike. When I upgrade it would cost less to only replace my shoes instead of pedals and shoes. Is there any good reason why I should change from SPD?

I know someone who nearly got a podium in the subvets league in his fugly yellow shoes and SPD'sWink

If it was good eough then I'd say it's good enough now!

...but it is like riding with furry legs.  Possible, but frowned upon by the style police

Using SPD pedals on a road bike is like using Shimano road shoes on campag pedals. Invest the money and convert to proper road shoes and road pedals. LOOK KEO is good & then invest in SIDI shoes you won'tlook back

Using SPD pedals on a road bike is like using Shimano road shoes on campag pedals. Invest the money and convert to proper road shoes and road pedals. LOOK KEO is good & then invest in SIDI shoes you won'tlook back

I know KEO is good, but is there/what is the benefit of converting? I don't care about fashoin or LOOKing cool. I'll spend the money if I can see an improvement in my results.

I think that the issue has more to it than style alone. On the road you will need more steady, smooth peadalling rythmn than on a MTB. The SPD does not lend itself to this, as the platform is quite small and does allow for a certain amount of un-eveness in the pedal stroke. I'm sure J Boringman or someone else will be glad to agree or disagree with me with lotsa technical data, but I have used SPD on the road and that was my experience.

I think that the issue has more to it than style alone. On the road you will need more steady' date=' smooth peadalling rythmn than on a MTB. The SPD does not lend itself to this, as the platform is quite small and does allow for a certain amount of un-eveness in the pedal stroke. I'm sure J Boringman or someone else will be glad to agree or disagree with me with lotsa technical data, but I have used SPD on the road and that was my experience. [/quote']

Was the improvement comfort only or did you improve the power output?

Definitely an improvement in performance. I went from Time to SPD (a borrowed bike when I didn't have my own for a while) and back to Time. I now ride KEO's. I always said I'd never ride Look, but I actually wouldn't go back to Time now...