Tri Robben Island

Shebeen

and I suppose when you wear a wetsuit you DONT look like a seal ? :w00t:

No but I dont swim in seal-infested waters trying to look like one!!! Its called a "ROB" in Afrikaans. Like Robben-eiland = Seal Island.

Hell they might just as well organise some cage diving next to the swim start!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just entered :-) should be an awesome race, never been to Robben Island

Been chatting to a few people about Challenge, seem like putting a race on on a Island is easier than the City Centre.

Will CT ever get a major race...

The worst was probably that at first they tried to market the "cancellation" as a one year postponement and that you shouldn't worry as your entry "rolled" over (and the interest ofcourse also rolled over into their account) - of course they forgot that our patience and fitness levels dont just roll over as well.......

I just really hope this race comes off as he will need to roll over into another country (or just stay on Robben Island) should it not.... :eek: :w00t:

I guess the T-Shirts everyone will get at this race is probably the CTC finsihers shirts with a reprint!

Anyways I hope it is a success. Good luck.

why so negative? hear many people have tried putting a race on in CT and cant seem to get past the first hurdle. CT needs more races so hopefully they pull this one off

why so negative? hear many people have tried putting a race on in CT and cant seem to get past the first hurdle. CT needs more races so hopefully they pull this one off

Cause they marketed a race, took our money and then 3 weeks before race day they cancelled. A lot of people still have not got their money back.

People like me already booked hotels, flights, bike transport etc. People like me started tapering after training our arses off for 9 months throughout the winter only to not race. Thats why.

We are not talking a sprint distance event, we are talking a full IM distance. The mechanics and preparations change.

• 2 weeks later...

will I be able to do this on my fixie, or will the tri rules have issues with it not being expensive enough equipment? i do have a front(cable) and rear(thighs) brakes.

Looks like everything's going ahead. Got a long email/pdf yesterday explaining the whole process and schedule.

Also seems as if the Cape Town weather is going to play along.

Looking forward to the weekend!

Looks like everything's going ahead. Got a long email/pdf yesterday explaining the whole process and schedule.

Also seems as if the Cape Town weather is going to play along.

Looking forward to the weekend!

Postponed for two weeks, think I'll take the refund

must have been a tough call to make, hope it goes smoothly on day 2 - i'm out that weekend so no luck.

Dear Athlete,

It is with sincerest apologies that due to bad weather conditions forecast for Sunday, Tri-Robben Island has been postponed by 2 weeks to the Saturday 22nd of September. This is due to the fact that Robben Island will not permit ferries to run in bad weather conditions.

Although the weather might improve, we cannot take this risk and cancel at the last minute, as athletes from out of town plan to travel to Cape Town for the event.

The new date will fall on the Saturday of Heritage Weekend and the race schedule will remain the same as it is currently. Any updates and changes to the program will be emailed through to you closer to the time.

Entries will automatically be transferred to the new date, however if you wish to get refunded this will be possible.

Again, we apologize for any inconveniences caused, but sadly we are at mercy of the weather gods.

We hope to still see you at the inaugural Tri-Robben event on the 22nd of September.

For further info, please email info@tri-rock.com.

Tel: 082 564 5345

Well according to weatherSA the weather looks fine for Saturday? Sunday a small chance of very light rain. Was the race supposed to be tomorrow or Sunday?

Well according to weatherSA the weather looks fine for Saturday? Sunday a small chance of very light rain. Was the race supposed to be tomorrow or Sunday?

Supposed to be on Sunday.

Most weather sites predicting a high chance rain and wind for Sunday (http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=-33.924869,18.424055)

I can kind of understand their thinking, as the ferries stop running at the slightest hind of waves/rain, but it's still pretty disappointing.

Edited by sluiper

Can CT organise a triathlon?

Seems a high risk affair...maybe they should stick to sailing down there :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone still coming with?

Bicycle check-in and registration this afternoon. Will you see there :)

How was the event?