Garmin Forerunner 305?

M Hickley

I see you can still buy new Garmin 305's online although they have been discontinued for about 2 years. They got some great reviews at the time. The newer 310xt costs at least R1500 more. Would it be a good idea to buy it. I'm not a serious triathlete, but need something that works for all three disciplines. Your comments please.

I see you can still buy new Garmin 305's online although they have been discontinued for about 2 years. They got some great reviews at the time. The newer 310xt costs at least R1500 more. Would it be a good idea to buy it. I'm not a serious triathlete, but need something that works for all three disciplines. Your comments please.

Its not real waterproof (IPX7 rated: submerged @ 1m for 30mins) and if you planning to do a 10 hour plus event, the battery will drop you.

I guess if you are not a serious triathlete and only do events with a swim of less than 30mins then it will be ok.

I have heard of people who ties the 305 in a condom and puts it under their swimcap for better waterproofing.

Good luck with your decision.

After using a FR 301 for a while I was quite happy with my FR 305 for the 3-4 years I had it (I used it for running, riding and navigating) although its battery life was disappointing compared with the 301.

For me, the 310 XT is pretty much the 305 with much better battery life, different but not necessarily better form factor, more comfortable HR belt, vibration alert, and minus support for routes - though it does courses.

I can't comment on the swimming aspect.

I did IMSA using mine (well not the swim leg) and the battery lasted fine for the bike and run course.

Good buy and you can pick them up for R1,000 these days.

I use the Forerunner 305 on every ride for about 2 years now. Really happy with it and I see no need to upgrade to a later model. I don't really see what extra benefit you'll get from the more expensive models, unless you a very serious athlete. For the weekend warriors and the recreational cyclist, this is more than adequate.