Some advice from the Hub gurus

Flippa

I am undecided on what approach I should take with my recent purchase of a 1988 Bridgestone RB-1 road bike. Do I strip it down, respray it (the original paintwork is a little ragged) and convert it to one gear? Or, do I attempt to restore it to its former glory? apart from the paintwork, it all seems to work fine, with the exception of some new rim tape required for the Wolber GTX and TX wheels.

post-1186-0-51207500-1345402532.jpg

post-1186-0-58348100-1345402541.jpg

IMO. These came from the late 80's. Lose the Biopace crankset or just replace the rings with normal rings. Shimano failed with these. The concept was similiar to today's Rotor's or O - rings but there execution was wrong. The Looks pedals of the time were either white 'n red, or black and white, and red n black. You can get similiar ones fron CRC. Try and get a San Marco Rolls or Selle Italia Turbo saddle which fits that time. If you are going to respray the frame try and get someone to do the decals similiar again. Check the Retro Bicycle thread on here for links to guys that do decals, not sure if they can do Bridgestone ones.

Bikes like this need to be ridden.

Figure out what you want to do first, then adapt the bike to your needs.

A perfectly restored RB1 is a thing of rare practical beauty: it begs to be ridden.

I have seen many RB1s converted to singlespeed or fixed, and they rock too.

The decal kits are available through velocals and ebay, so no worries there.

The ride on these bikes is the thing. Comfortable, almost plush, yet very responsive.

Restored? Cool.

Fixie/Singlespeed? Cool, plus you can leave the paintwork with its "houding"

Lucky bastard!

I have been looking for one of these for a few years !

Anyone got a 58cm knocking about?

Enjoy it!

Some more details on my new "lady":

According to Sheldon Brown, she is a 1988 Bridgestone RB 1 Synergy, in Cobalt Blue. The other colourway in this model year was a red/white two tone.

Chro Mo, she has been kicking around tandvleisboom for about 4 months. I found her on the second advert her previous owner posted.

As far as I can ascertain, she is almost 100% original. Spec list is:

Front Hub: Shimano 600 built with Wolber TX rim

Rear Hub: Shimano 105 built with Wolber GTX rim

Crankset: Shimano 105 with BioPace rings 52/42

Front deraillleur: Shimano 105

Rear derailleur: Shimano 105 6 speed

Shifters: downtube Shimano 105 with STI for the rear derailleur

Brakes: Shimano 105 with SLR

Saddle: San Marco

It needs new brake cables and the hubs and BB require a service.

Does anybody know somewhere that I can get touchups done on the paintwork as the branding looks like its part of the paintwork and not decals?