Stolen Santa Cruz Tallboy & Scott Spark 29er - Westville, Durban.

Caerus

Hi all,

Just received an email about two acquaintances bikes that were stolen off the back of their car in Westville, Durban on Saturday night outside Woodcutters restaurant.

1 x Santa Cruz Tall Boy Carbon Fiber 29er 2010 Black.

1 x Scott Spark 29er Carbon Fiber Black.

Please keep a look out, many thanks. I'll try get some pics.

Were they locked onto the vehicle, or carrier?

I'm not 100% sure yet, just got the email 5 mins ago. I think they would have been.

Caerus, I don't need to tell you this - but anybody who leaves a bike unattended (even if locked to the car) outside Woodcutters is looking for trouble. Yes, they may have been going to the pharmacy or to Ultra for a dop on the way home, but still... leave someone with the bikes! Either that, or pay the car guard BEFORE you leave the car.

But heck - not good either way. Hope they had insurance!

Edited by cptmayhem

Caerus, I don't need to tell you this - but anybody who leaves a bike unattended (even if locked to the car) outside Woodcutters is looking for trouble. Yes, they may have been going to the pharmacy or to Ultra for a dop on the way home, but still... leave someone with the bikes! Either that, or pay the car guard BEFORE you leave the car.

But heck - not good either way. Hope they had insurance!

I agree, I lock with not only the Thule knobs but three other chains. No way they would get my bikes. It's unfortunate for them. I drove past there Sat night and it was very busy with loads of car guards. It could just as easy have been a joe soap cyclist/ patron then a skelm to have knicked it. Not nice either way.

I agree, I lock with not only the Thule knobs but three other chains. No way they would get my bikes. It's unfortunate for them. I drove past there Sat night and it was very busy with loads of car guards. It could just as easy have been a joe soap cyclist/ patron then a skelm to have knicked it. Not nice either way.

Yeah. Those Thule knob things can be broken with a strong shove of a screwdriver. With braided cabling, you'd need bolt cutters. With those big-ass london-style U-Locks, though, you'd struggle for a while to get them off.

Yeah. Those Thule knob things can be broken with a strong shove of a screwdriver. With braided cabling, you'd need bolt cutters. With those big-ass london-style U-Locks, though, you'd struggle for a while to get them off.

Thats all they had locking it was the Thule knob. I've got two gold star locks that will take about an hour each to get through, then another one just in case.

Thats all they had locking it was the Thule knob. I've got two gold star locks that will take about an hour each to get through, then another one just in case.

What do the Gold Star locks look like? A normal padlock, or one of those U-Locks?

What do the Gold Star locks look like? A normal padlock, or one of those U-Locks?

I'll take a pic, and post it.

Those Thule locks are a joke.

I use 2 braided cable locks and still crap myself

One heck of a loss tho......that's almost 100K worth of bikes

He also had a brand new carbon hardtail inside the car that he got two days ago, not insured. It could have been far worse.

He also had a brand new carbon hardtail inside the car that he got two days ago, not insured. It could have been far worse.

Damn...

Speaking of which, I need to update my insurance after the upgrades on my hardtail...

Here is what was rated Gold star in terms of locks that I bought in the UK (things could have changed since I left in 2008). If I remember correctly they were something in the region of £80 each back in 2002/3, it is 20mm in dia and has Kevlar interwoven. I'm sure you could get through it eventually, but it will certainly be a hard task.

post-13006-0-66655600-1345476196.jpg post-13006-0-45494100-1345476197.jpg post-13006-0-76975800-1345476199.jpg post-13006-0-87837700-1345476200.jpg

This sucks, I know how it feels.

After the Demo 8 got stolen (BTW, it's at the local cop shop, going to do the paperwork for it tomorrow!!), I decided to not @#$ around anymore. Here's what R1.2k worth of hardened Masterlock goodies look like:

post-3655-0-48526500-1345484520.png