midmar mile

mon-goose

has anyone done the midmar mile and how cold is the water typically there. I see wetsuits aren't allow and I don't do well with the cold water

water is fine providing it does not rain :) certainly no need for a wet suit

Have you swum in bass lake ?

Then you will be fine @ mid mar

This year was pretty crappy weather and the water was fine. Did a 34min swim and no problem with the water temp. I've done a few, sometimes with not even being able to see the other side due to fog etc.

I've never felt like I would have needed a wetsuit before, great race, only draw back is the traffic in the water, but it's not a train smash. Love the event, well organised and loads of fun.

Doing 70.3 next year, so may skip Midmar, but planning to be back the following year. I've done around 4 or 5 I think, can't find my medals etc.

Sounds good. I'm in CT and the water here is way too cold. I've being doing some of the swim in the V&A but that's wetsuit temperatures. May try the ashanti dam later in the year without a wetsuit.

Midmar is one of the best places for swimming. Water is warm and perfectly clean.

Did the race once and the only disappointment was that it was over with so quickly. You start looking out at the far bank, so far away and next thing, you run out the water and go "What next" I want more"

this year the weather was mizz but water temperature was fine.

Do it :) its their 40th anniversary next year.

Done 18 midmars... pretty much a good swim, the coldest was a 20 deg water temp. Normally its around 24, any warmer and the dam smells like its too warm.