<<<Silverback STORM 1>>>

aaronxc

Lets start off by saying Finish line cycles are real champs such legends .

So my little story i went from a 96 3000D dual sus 26inch 3 x 10 to the STORM 1 29ER hard tail 2 x 10. At first i was really un sure about the move but away i went with it :clap: so i clocked up about 250+km on the road just to get used to the set up and to my suprise i got used to the 2 x 10 very quicly and evan the hard tail was no problem at all. This bike is truely awesome yes (biased opinion)

Any ways the frame is responsive and light for a sub 25k bike :thumbup: the groupset shimano xt 2012 well that says it all the components FSA carbon bar,stem,alu seat post . the wheel set well they are just great stans ztr crest with 330 hubs i did change the tyre combo though from the maxiss cross marx to conti mountain king front and race king on the back at 1,8 bar front & 1,7 bar at the back and she just runs so so smooth now. The fork is a Rock Shock SID RL 100mm dual air is amazing to just smooths out the ride so nicely.

Then came time to doing a bit of off road riding so place i decided to do battle at was the new modderfontain trail i do have a loop that i do and in total its about 34km and about dare i say close on to 700m of climbing and with the merida i would do it round about 1h51m and with the storm 1 i managed a 1h41 so pretty in pressed and i made sure i stayed in the same zones as to get a fair reading

I just noticed like my center of gravity was lower and could hit the bends at speed with out washing out baring in mind i had the same setup on my 96 in terms of tyres and pressures and coming from dual sus to hard tail there is a bit of a change in terms of riding style but no biggy at all and was really comfortable on it

So in closing those top brands are great yes @ a huge price the Storm 1 is great @ a more reasonoble price/realistic price and im well happy with the change all be it Biased :clap:

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-24930-0-27382900-1345723220.jpg

aaron xc, what is your vital stats?

Aka, height, weight, build, fitness level? It would be great to know, as it puts the bike in perspective...

a 1.6m 65kg rider has quite different requirements to a 2m 95+kg rider...

cheers, nice post btw

I doubt that anything comes close to this bike for the price. A Merida 3000D @30k is heavier with heavy wheels. Momsen no I don`t think so it will be more expensive. I got the Storm1 3x10 with the following upgrades: American Classic Race wheels, Look Carbon pedals, Ritchey WSC 260 stem, Ritchey WSC Shield tyres. Still to come is a Use Titanium seatpost. I will add my review soon with some pics, my bike is seriously uber! Its going to be a good sub 10kgs for under R30k.

I've bought 2 MTB from Finish line, no BS spin stories and always willing to sort out problems and assist.

hey guys glad you like the post the reason for the diff in tyre pressure was i thought i was gonna battle with it being a hard tail and to soften the blows but didnt at all so i will be back to my 1.7 front 1.8 rear :thumbup:

and my stats

1. 89m tall

80kg

and do round about 220km per week

hey guys glad you like the post the reason for the diff in tyre pressure was i thought i was gonna battle with it being a hard tail and to soften the blows but didnt at all so i will be back to my 1.7 front 1.8 rear :thumbup:

and my stats

1. 89m tall

80kg

and do round about 220km per week

With a 29er you can run the tires at a lower pressure compared to your 26er.

I went from 1.5/1.6bar (front/rear) on my 26er to 1.1/1.2bar on my Storm 1.

That being said, I'm 1.73m at 58kg (interpret as race horse build :whistling:)

I'm extremely happy with my buy!

Edited by Helpmytrap

Well in trems of fittness im currently 9th overal in the nissan trail seeker halfmarathon series just love it its almost like you hold your breath for 40km to the finnish bang its over i love the sprint races/ really truth be told im a wanna be racing snake :ph34r: but my goal for this series is top 5