Best Commuting Tire

_freak_

I'm looking at the City Rider at CWC, the have a 700x47C, looks like they will do the job just don't know if that will fit my bike... I have a Raleigh RC3000

There is no way that a 47 will fit a road bike, if that is what you have.

Mine is a 37 and just-just clears a road bike, but then I have long-reach brakes and a little bit more clearance between wheel and fork. If yoiu're in Jhb, you're welcome to try my wheel and see if it fits.

I reckon the Serfas Seca flat protection tyres are good for training and commuting and don't cost that much.

Done many a thousand of kilometers on them and they keep going.

It would seem ALL local bike shops in Pretoria and surrounds ONLY has an option of Conti Gator Skin or Conti GP4000. Schwalbe is even harder to found!

I've tried:

Cyclelab

Hotspot

Hatfield

Fritzpienaar

Solomons

Summitcycles

CWC

No one has...

Schwalbe Marathon...Absolutely brilliant, long lasting and puncture resistant. I'm running Conti country plus on my hybrid, old ksyrium elite wheels. Be careful of going to wide as around corners, even with correct pressure they start squirming quite a bit. These are 37, so really pushing the limit ito width.

Continental City Rider - the widest your bike can handle.

I recently did a loaded tour of 900km with those. Half the route was on tar, half of dirt.

Must try these, then.

Thanks for the info.

It would seem ALL local bike shops in Pretoria and surrounds ONLY has an option of Conti Gator Skin or Conti GP4000. Schwalbe is even harder to found!

I've tried:

Cyclelab

Hotspot

Hatfield

Fritzpienaar

Solomons

Summitcycles

CWC

No one has...

I found that trying to get GP 4 seasons - no one in SA had them. Ended up getting them shipped from UK.

I can't open CRC right now, it seems the City Ride does not come in a size that will fit my rim, I can go max 700x28c

I can't open CRC right now, it seems the City Ride does not come in a size that will fit my rim, I can go max 700x28c

Don't go by the stated size.

For instance, I have a 37 on my Open Pro rims and they actually only measure 29mm across.

Tyre manufacturers are notorious for overstating the tyre size and we have the weight weenies with their cocaine scales to blame.

Bike magazines regularly do a tyre shoot-out and one of the features of this useless test is to weight the tyres and compare them in tables. Tyre companies respond by overstating the size so that their tyres will look good in a particular size category.

A couple of years ago an obscure American tyre manufacturer, Avocet, blew the whistle on this practice and said that it will, with immediate effect, stop the practice and adjust all its tyre sizes. 25s suddenly became 23s etc etc.

If you want to try a Citiride, choose an outrageous size and try. You may be pleasantly surprised.