barendfair

Event Name: Pretoria Boys High MTB Trail Race
When: 15 September 2012
Where: 251 Roper Street, Brooklyn, Pretoria, Gauteng
Category: MTB

Pretoria Boys High MTB Trail Race

www.facebook.com/PretoriaBoysHighMTB

15 Sept 2012

24km 8h30 4 X 6km laps R70 (on the day R90)

12km 10h30 2 X 6km laps R70 (on the day R90)

6km 12h00 1 x 6km lap R50 (on the day R70)

Online entries @ www.cyclesport.co.za

Late registration at the venue 1 hour before each event

Medals and goody bags to all finishers.

Limited registration of 350.

Venue: Pretoria Boys High School Grounds, 251 Roper Street, Brooklyn

Sponsored by Barden Tyre Services

Contact pbhsmtb@gmail.com

Objectives of the event:

· As a fundraiser for RCL

· To introduce Mountain Biking as a sport to PBHS

· To make this a yearly event on the calendar

· To encourage families in living an active lifestyle

organisers:

The race is organises by the Representative Council of Learners (RCL). All proceeds will be going to charity.

Charities Supported:

1. Bethany Pregnancy Crisis Centre

2. Salvokop Street Shelter

3. Kingdom Life Children Centre

4. S A Guide Dog Association

5. SPCA

Sponsors:

Baden Tyre services

Aquelle

32GI

Nativa

Centurion Academy

Media24

Future Life

Traumeel

Go to Event Page

• 2 weeks later...

I did not do the race but I was cycling at the Monument on Saturday. looked like a good turnout. Just a word of advice to the organisers you might want to make helmets compulsory, the majority of the kids did not have helmets on. From my understanding of the law you could be held responsible if someone had got hurt on the ride.

Nice initiative nonetheless :thumbup:

Errr .... RR, everyone racing had helmuts on. I DID however see loads of peeps without lids riding around the car park etc.

I loved it, me and a bud is planning on doing the Sabie Team Lite and used this as a warmup excuse quick check to see where 'our' fitness levels are, so we rode together. Let me put it to you this way - my avg pace riding to work and back (over 20+k's both ways) is around 2:40. 'Our' pace on Saturday (as dictated by Sir Hufflepuff) was 4:26 ... fml, I wasn't even warmed up at the end of it.

As for the race itself, it was very, very good. Sure, lots of grass (route went around sports fields) but the surprise was the singletrack through the Pines ... lovely. Marshalls were aplenty (sucks to be a grade 8 lol) and helpful (I'm sure they were threatened with whips and chains) and the markings were superb (although they all sported 'Nissan' on them, they weren't listed as a sponsor lol) Best bit? No bottlenecks. Worst bit? Twits on bikes racing past you on the flats, all huffing and puffing, only to get of and walk the singletrack in front of you.

Here's a vid of the route- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yICrHGVp238&feature=youtu.be - the girl that came off her bike (4:29 - she was ok) was too funny :)

Edited by Riaan Coetzee

Riaan,

I am glad you enjoyed it with your mate,

RR, i was there doing the timing and also asked to take the role of Commissaire at this race and all riders that started had helmets on.

I had one guy who as he approached the finnish he removed his helmet, i warned him that this is not allowed according to rules and could have DQ him.

All in all it was a good first outing for the school in presenting this race.

Mods, can you merge the two threads

Cheers

Clive