Bellville Velodrome ???

Scooter69

I think that we can all say farewell and goodbye to the Bellville Velodrome.

There is an article in "The Tyger Burger" 0f 12 September 2012 discussing this subject.

Reading between the lines, I do not have much confidence that the Cape Town City Council will be able, or really want to, save the venue.

I suppose that money and the big developers will rule again.

:mellow:

i agree. but there is a clause in the lease agreement between the CoCt and the sportsclubs that stipulates that they need to provide those sports clubs with similar facilities if the v'drome is not available. and the lease is for valid up to 2027.

I have always been in support of keeping the velodrome as a cycling venue and I still am, but I have been thinking about it as a venue lately....let me tell you why.

My son have competed in gymnastics at the velodrome for the last 5 or more years, so I've sat there waiting and watching for many an hour. The place is extremely user-unfriendly. The walk up there is difficult for older people, yes, sometimes granny wants to see the kids play sport. The entrances, all of them, are just plain stupidly designed. Once inside, it is half dark and the lighting casts an sickly artificial blue colour over everything. There are no windows to let in natural light, even on a beautiful day. It is always cold in there, aircon or no aircon, just sit in the stands for an hour or two and you'll feel the chill in your bones. The seats are literally a pain in the but, or rather in the back. The facilities for vendors selling food and drink as well as the abutions are simply inadequite.

(The only thing I ever attended there that really worked, was the Roger Waters concert many moons ago, and I think that was mainly because I took some herbal remedy beforehand.)

The reason the above came to mind is that this year WP gymnastics have used the Swartklip Indoor Centre in Mitchells Plain. It is far out of my way and not in a great area, but it is a hell of a lot more user friendly. It has huge windows that let natural light in and it is much warmer despite the fact that it does not even have aircon. I know one cannot compare a multi use indoor centre to the velodrome, but it simply made me realize that the velodrome is not that great a venue. Yes, it is the only one in the Cape, and it would be sad to lose it.

Anyway, that's my contribution to this discussion........what do you think?

Why not get a portable wooden track that can be moved to various venues. Its sad we could be losing the track but times are tough.

I have always been in support of keeping the velodrome as a cycling venue and I still am, but I have been thinking about it as a venue lately....let me tell you why.

My son have competed in gymnastics at the velodrome for the last 5 or more years, so I've sat there waiting and watching for many an hour. The place is extremely user-unfriendly. The walk up there is difficult for older people, yes, sometimes granny wants to see the kids play sport. The entrances, all of them, are just plain stupidly designed. Once inside, it is half dark and the lighting casts an sickly artificial blue colour over everything. There are no windows to let in natural light, even on a beautiful day. It is always cold in there, aircon or no aircon, just sit in the stands for an hour or two and you'll feel the chill in your bones. The seats are literally a pain in the but, or rather in the back. The facilities for vendors selling food and drink as well as the abutions are simply inadequite.

(The only thing I ever attended there that really worked, was the Roger Waters concert many moons ago, and I think that was mainly because I took some herbal remedy beforehand.)

The reason the above came to mind is that this year WP gymnastics have used the Swartklip Indoor Centre in Mitchells Plain. It is far out of my way and not in a great area, but it is a hell of a lot more user friendly. It has huge windows that let natural light in and it is much warmer despite the fact that it does not even have aircon. I know one cannot compare a multi use indoor centre to the velodrome, but it simply made me realize that the velodrome is not that great a venue. Yes, it is the only one in the Cape, and it would be sad to lose it.

Anyway, that's my contribution to this discussion........what do you think?

when the velodrome didn't have a roof it worked like a charm for cycling.....u could only be seated in the main straight. this created a better atmosphere for cycling as most of the seats were taken up by spectators or cyclists.

once the roof went on (for the junior worlds incidently) it became a multipurpose venue but not entirely suited to anything specific not even cycling because the track doesn't get warm enough for fast times.

the developers want to incorporate a portable wooden track inside the centre of the venue but can't guarantee dates for cycling ie no training on a weekly basis.

when the velodrome didn't have a roof it worked like a charm for cycling.....u could only be seated in the main straight. this created a better atmosphere for cycling as most of the seats were taken up by spectators or cyclists.

once the roof went on (for the junior worlds incidently) it became a multipurpose venue but not entirely suited to anything specific not even cycling because the track doesn't get warm enough for fast times.

the developers want to incorporate a portable wooden track inside the centre of the venue but can't guarantee dates for cycling ie no training on a weekly basis.

Uhm, the track does not get warm enough for fast times?? On Tuesday 11 September 2012 the SA Elite and Junior record were smashed on that track...

The only prob is, once the track is broken down, I don't see the City of Capetown giving us a new one... This track is the only Indoor Olympic Standard Track in the whole of Africa... how must the big Sprinters train for Olympics???

But I must say that the events are sooooo poorly attended by spectators!!! 25 people if lucky! We need to work on a plan to get those stands full!!

THE NEXT MEETING IS ON THE 9TH OF OCTOBER!!!

Uhm, the track does not get warm enough for fast times?? On Tuesday 11 September 2012 the SA Elite and Junior record were smashed on that track...

Was that with the doors opened or closed ?

Was that with the doors opened or closed ?

exactly....Johnny Koen is always calling for the doors to be kept closed during SA's. it only takes a split second to break a record.

The only prob is, once the track is broken down, I don't see the City of Capetown giving us a new one... This track is the only Indoor Olympic Standard Track in the whole of Africa... how must the big Sprinters train for Olympics???

But I must say that the events are sooooo poorly attended by spectators!!! 25 people if lucky! We need to work on a plan to get those stands full!!

schedule track meetings on a Friday night and advertise. it costs nothing to advertise these events in the Burger / Argus and then publish the results.

This was my point in the last thread on this topic. I got to watch the SA champs there only because I positioned myself to hear of it. I spend way to much time in bike shops.

The orchid show at the town hall gets more visibility than the track events.

I also wonder what the cost of the velodrome is in relation to usage.

Apparently that's up for debate. Dean Edwards tweeted their result from quite a few years back and I think their time was 47 something. It will be very difficult to break a wooden track record on a cement track and in winter too...

Found his tweet and picture: Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games Dean Edwards, JP van Zyl & Shawn Lynch 47.738. 1st lap 18.998 and 2nd lap 14.073.

There's some confusion around it and I can't find a place where CSA keeps all the records.

Apparently that's up for debate. Dean Edwards tweeted their result from quite a few years back and I think their time was 47 something. It will be very difficult to break a wooden track record on a cement track and in winter too...

Found his tweet and picture: Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games Dean Edwards, JP van Zyl & Shawn Lynch 47.738. 1st lap 18.998 and 2nd lap 14.073.

There's some confusion around it and I can't find a place where CSA keeps all the records.

Shawn lynch hey? Does the name chunky ring a bell?

Yes i've heard the sme story!! But the Junior record is legit?