Insurance : Using personal mechanic

amoryns

question..if I use a personal mechanic and something goes wrong...for instance...damages the frame trying to get BB out...will my insurance pay out as he isn't associated with a bike shop?

im not sure if they will pay you, they always try to get a reason not to pay . just dont tell them what happend make up a story.

Insurance covers the policyholder from reasonable risk, but the policyholder has a responsibilty to do everything in his power to minimise that risk.

A person who uses a private unregistered contractor to do work, as opposed to an "approved" contractor, is placing the asset at an increased risk of damage or loss.

Further, most reputable businesses would have their own insurance to cover that type of risk, and your insurance company knows it.

Damage caused by a backyard mechanic might raise a few eyebrows, my guess is they wouldn't pay.

As far as I know, bike shop mechanics are not "qualified" in any trade or approved by any governing body. Thus I can't see why a private mechanic should be different to a bike shop guy. Some guys at bike shops are hardly 16 and don't know much.

That said, if a bike shop messes up your BB and they are reputable, they should repair / replace for any work done in their workshop, but there is no way to enforce this.

im not sure if they will pay you, they always try to get a reason not to pay . just dont tell them what happend make up a story.

Worst advice ever, that's the kind of thing that puts our premiums up.

If it's a certified mechanic there should be no problem. Besides, most bike shop's mechies are shop trained and without any formal certification either.

The best people to pose the question to, is your insurance co or broker, and get it in writing.

why do you have insurance? for theft and for frame damage primarily.....these are all independent of the mechanic. and i cant think of any situation where work done by a mechanic might damage a frame, except for a poor build on a wheelset.......

Edited by Stretch