TT advice needed.

Conti

I'm doing a 20 km time trial.

do you set yourself a average speed before trial and try to keep to that and push hard in last km?

or do you work with heart rate monitor and ignore average speed?

your advice please.

The one and only time I did a TT, I rode as hard as I could the whole time. In hind sight I think I should have paced myself better. Maybe going by HR is not a bad idea and keep it at lactate threshhold. I'm not the expert, and would love to hear from more experienced TT riders.

ride untill your legs start to hurt, then a little harder, then sit there for the rest. pretty simple. Also keep high cadence, like over 100. CharlesKeey2008-01-20 23:44:30

I would ride on HR or evenĀ better yet Power, you should know how long you can work at a certain rate, just have a few practice runs to get a feel.

Your body is the most unaerodynamic part of your riding package (followed by your wheels). This is the biggest factor affecting your speed - especially as speed increases. So the biggest gain will be fitting some tri-bars and learning how to ride efficiently with them. You may need to adjust your saddle position too.

Ā 

Use the best wheels you can get.

Warm up well before your start.

Don't go out too hard - rather sit at 80% for the first few minutes - then your body won't reject the idea of 85 - 90% for the rest of the ride.

Short hills - stay in a big gear but get out of the saddle.

Ā 

windblown. dis deel van die masters & ladies se program.

dit is saterdag 16 feb.

as jy nie lid is dan kan jy kom ry as n "visitor"

well if you do it on heartrate its easy..you should try toĀ stay around your lactate threshold...which is around 90% of your max heartrate. if your fit you can keep 90% for quite a long time..the last few kilometres you can start to push it, but be shure not to blow before the line because its then when you lose most of your time..rather go too easy that go to hard if you are not shure how your body is going to react.. the best way is too train TT and learn too know your body and what heartrates you can sustain..remember when you do a TT in competition your can ride higher heartrate(up to 5-7 bpm) because of adrenline and your better focussed then.. the best way too pace your self in a TT is with a powermeter, but again you should know what power you can sustain..

I'm doing a 20 km time trial.

do you set yourself a average speed before trial and try to keep to that and push hard in last km?

or do you work with heart rate monitor and ignore average speed?

your advice please.

Ā 

If you know what your Lactate TH for a 30 minute all out effort is you could use this as your avg HR,Ā however to many variables come into play so unless you have accurate records ofĀ yourĀ heart rate during a 20 km TT on the same routeĀ forget about using HR and the same goes for speed.

Ā 

Make sure youĀ are familar withĀ the route and are properly warmed up before the TT start

Start at a moderate to hard pace for the first few minutes, give yourĀ body time toĀ catch up to the effort, dont start to hard.

After about 3 or 4 minutes you can increase the effort to a level that you think you can just maintain untill the finish. Dont look at HR or speed, listen to your legs and lungs.

On a flat course with steady conditions try and do the 2nd half faster than the 1st half

Try and catch the rider(s) in front or stay ahead of the rider following you.

HAVE FUN WITH THE RACE OF TRUTH