[Event] Caltex Thomas River Mountainbike Challenge

deanbean

Event Name: Caltex Thomas River Mountainbike Challenge
When: 3 November 2012
Where: Thomas River Village, Eastern Cape
Category: MTB

Hi All,

Things are moving on very nicely for our Caltex Thomas River Mountain Bike Challenge

Caltex have really been marvellous not only classy long sleeved T-shirts for the first 200 pre-entries but also 150 Caltex T-shirts for the young one’s . Add that to the free meal we supply and Thomas River hospitality plus all the spot prizes from our wonderful Co-Sponsors, ( which includes 3 mountain bikes from Cycle Torque) and you have the most cost effective event in the country!

If you thought you knew how to ride Thomas River then think again! Every race has been drastically changed for instance the Marathon uses less than 30% of the old route and the ride up the old wagon trail is a wow! Your “Goody Bag” will also contain a map and profile for each race so you can plan your ride.

As we grow accommodation has become more of a problem so we have opened the Farmers Hall as a dormitory where you can bring your mattress and doss down. There are plenty of toilets and hot showers but bring your own earplugs for the snorers!!!!

If you rode/ran/walked the Caltex Sole Destroyer, you are in the draw for the Caltex Lucky Number Hamper worth over R500. I have all the Cyclists numbers but if you ran/walked please put your name down on the list at registration.

I’ve attached entry forms and info sheets which you can fill in electronically and mail to thomasriver-entries@net4u.co.za or collect entry forms from the bike shops and enter there.

Please remember that pre-entries close on Wednesday the 31st and Late entries in person at Thomas river with cash. Race day entries will not be timed

Go to Event Page

• 2 weeks later...

The route map and elevation for the 65km marathon,

It's changed quiet a bit

post-2975-0-25598400-1350985607_thumb.jpg

I like the end of the race, it isn't ending through the poles this year,

post-2975-0-02368000-1350985848_thumb.jpg

Had a great time at this event last year. Lovely people and great part of the country. I would encourage any one considering it to make the journey. Huge meat prizes for the racing snakes and lots of spot prizes for the rest of us if I remember correctly!

post-2975-0-15337900-1351330172_thumb.jpg

The farmers partied to Southern Gypsy Queen last night at the Tavern, unfortunately they won't be there next weekend.

It's wet, soaking wet, but the weather will clear next week and dry the track out. I was talking to the farmers last night about the trail, which I was supposed to ride today, but *** weather put me off.

New sections on the route, the Ailsa loop

post-2975-0-32264900-1351330447_thumb.jpg

and a new section on the farm Doon, we turn off just before the last hill and ride along the river

post-2975-0-86857700-1351330492_thumb.jpg

Weather and course update: With all the rain today the Doon loop may have to be excluded, 36 mm so far and showing no signs of stopping.

Gonna have to make a plan to ride this one sometime, for old time's sakes.

You'll have to Dave, Mark W is the convenor this year, and he's been moaning about the rain buggering up his trail. Hope the river drops, so that we ride his section.

TR is an institution in the EC, probably the biggest MTB race in Border, and yet smaller than the smallest races in Gat'eng.