What road bike size?

CatGirl

Nie lat ek OOIT 'n roadie sal word nie, ma naby aan 'n closet roadie maybe..I want to buy al cheapo vir die Burger Sanlam en die Argus..weet nie of ek altwee races op my MTB wil doen nie..eish my tires sal dit nooit hou nie..

sooo what size sal ek voor kyk small frame = how many inches/cm min of meer cos sizes differ?

I am 158 tall

Then also what are road bike frames made of? you get carbon frames and what else?

I have never in my lifetime ridden a road bike ever!, so wil eers al cheapo koop om te kyk of ek reg kom met die ding

what must I look out for and what to avoid?

fanks

You should do an online fit calculator to get it as accurate as possible.

Without knowing your measurements, and going purely on height, I would hazard a guess at a 48-50 cm top tube frame will be fine.

You won't find a carbon bike in the 'cheapo' range, so aluminium is about as good as it will get for you.

Edited by Wazza_pe

• 8 months later...

I am sitting in the same boat and know nothing about road cycling or road bike sises. I am in the process of buying a road bike, but not sure if the bike shop sales person know as well. All my mountain bikes is medium, but notice on a road bike you get medium to large (M/L) sise as well.

My length is 172 cm with leg length of 80 cm

According to the online calculator my center to top tube (CT) must be 54cm.

According to the Bike Shop my sise of bike is a Medium/50 cm with a top tube of 55.5 cm

Another sise is M/L 53.5 cm with a top tube 57.0 cm

What sise do I follow? Red or Blue

I hope i make some sort of sense here... :blush:

I am sitting in the same boat and know nothing about road cycling or road bike sises. I am in the process of buying a road bike, but not sure if the bike shop sales person know as well. All my mountain bikes is medium, but notice on a road bike you get medium to large (M/L) sise as well.

According to the Bike Shop my sise of bike is a Medium/50 cm with a top tube of 55.5 cm

I've found that you need to follow both sizes. You're of a similar height and inseam to me and I've been advised that a 54cm top tube and 52cm seat tube is about right. These are c - c measurements.

To ad to the complications the geometry differs according to the intended purpose of the bike. A more relaxed bike will have a sloping top tube, making the seat tube shorter.

But on a normal road bike frame with a fairly straight top tube I'm a 54 top tube and 52 seat tube. I'd guess you would be similar.

Then also what are road bike frames made of? you get carbon frames and what else?

Steel and Ti

Go for a proper bike set up so you know what to start off with.

Yip agree with Gummibear and the bikefit. The bike shop you went to got your size wrong for sure. I am 1.72m and my in-seam is 79. Size bike for me is a 52/54. Measured by Cycle Lab. Just in adding the MTB sizes are completely different to Road Bikes. See if your LBS will let you test ride one before buying. Last thing you want is a bike that's either too big/small and you end up with aches and pains in places you never knew you had! Good luck.

Nie lat ek OOIT 'n roadie sal word nie, ma naby aan 'n closet roadie maybe..I want to buy al cheapo vir die Burger Sanlam en die Argus..weet nie of ek altwee races op my MTB wil doen nie..eish my tires sal dit nooit hou nie..

sooo what size sal ek voor kyk small frame = how many inches/cm min of meer cos sizes differ?

I am 158 tall

I have never in my lifetime ridden a road bike ever!, so wil eers al cheapo koop om te kyk of ek reg kom met die ding

what must I look out for and what to avoid?

fanks

Think there could be lots to look out for, dents in frame, check for hairline cracks. Also dirty (not dusty) roadbikes more than likely means the previous owner didnt take care of it. You cycle, so I guess the basics remain the same, perhaps MTB's have more scrathes and so on but you'll quickly see if its a dodgy bike or not. Are u buying "used"? Ask to test ride it. When wife and I started road cycling we bought used "cheapies" and the addiction took off from there. Bike size...see posts in this topic for your answers. Good luck.