[Event] BSG TriSeries Race #3

alhughes

Event Name: BSG TriSeries Race #3
When: 21 October 2012
Where: Island Estates, Hartebesspoort, Gauteng
Category: Multisport

http://www.bsgmultisport.co.za/sites/default/files/BSG_flyer_front.jpghttp://www.bsgmultisport.co.za/sites/default/files/BSG_flyer_back.jpg

Go to Event Page

I've entered this one... Is the swim in the main big damn or somewhere else in the hartes area? Surely that water is not safe for swimming....?

I believe its in the canals at Island estates.. separate from the dam :nuke:

good to hear - keen to see my kids grow up.

The swim is in the canals which were crystal clear. Also a nice venue for first triathlon for those who are daunted by the swimming. The canals are only chest deep so you can stand up if you get into trouble.

Hey dracs and Metzet check out the course info in the attachments that should clear up your questions

The swim is in the canals which were crystal clear. Also a nice venue for first triathlon for those who are daunted by the swimming. The canals are only chest deep so you can stand up if you get into trouble.

Excellent - am looking forward to it!

Alhughes do you know yet if it will be wetsuit legal? Also any chance of a profile for the cycle?

Edited by dracs

Excellent - am looking forward to it!

Alhughes do you know yet if it will be wetsuit legal? Also any chance of a profile for the cycle?

Looking at the ITU rules the water temp must be measured 1 hour prior to the start of the race to determine if it is wetsuit legal. So we will only find out on the day. Apparently, below 20 degrees wetsuits are legal for this distance and below 14 degrees wetsuits are mandatory.

dracs I have added the ITU rules for 2012 and the final athlete information pdf's. The final instructions say the wetsuit ruling will be at 07h00 on the day. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately I don't have a cycle profile.

well the suit i was going to borrow does not fit, so i have decided to suck it up and swim without one regardless on Sunday. hope the water is not too chilly...

So how was your race?

I really enjoyed it. I just don’t know why they changed the schedule so that all the men started the swim together. I wasn’t even in the water yet and the race started. It was really difficult to get through ‘the walkers’. Anyway, I still enjoyed the swim and looking at my swim time it didn’t really make a difference with everyone starting together.

I found the bike leg pretty hard with the wind. I also see that the run times were very quick. Does anyone know if it was really 5km?

So how was your race?

My first tri under the belt and I really enjoyed it. The swim was chaotic - really hard to get into a rhythm but I gave as many kicks as I took so chalk it up to a learning experience. Was just a bit annoying when guys stopped right in front of you halting your momentum and then suddenly take off feet flaying around but I guess that is a function of it being shallow enough to walk. .

My only negative comment is a fairly big one and that is the fact that the transition area was kept closed until after ALL the kids races. This meant we had to sit around in the sun for more than 2 hours - then when it eventually opened obviously everyone left the venue at the same time so there was huge gridlock trying to get out of the parking. Clearly this was done to keep cars off the kids course which is fair enough but they really should find another way to do this - maybe send the kids out in the other direction around the estate.

I could have been home just after 11 - instead I got home after 2 and missed a family lunch. I won't do this event again next year unless they change this arrangement.

I found the bike leg pretty hard with the wind. I also see that the run times were very quick. Does anyone know if it was really 5km?

I got 26k for the cycle and about 4.6km for the run - so yes I think the run was a little short of 5km

Edited by dracs