electric bikes fun but are they legal?

mike xtreme

i bought a bicycle that has a electric motor in front wheel...

so when you get a bit lazy hehe you can use the throttle

so i ask if a spietkop pulls me off am i guilty? or is he trying his luck ?

post-24705-0-73036700-1350655789_thumb.jpg

post-24705-0-22391900-1350655820_thumb.jpg

I think the rules i something like 18km per hour or less and you're ok...

beter look out for speed traps hehe is there a place were you can

see black on white what is legal

Are you allowed to do a mtb race with that if you state that you dont mind to not get a finishing time? Would be cool

Are you allowed to do a mtb race with that if you state that you dont mind to not get a finishing time? Would be cool

Do mtb races subscribe to the UCI rules? If so it would not be allowed. I'm pretty sure I remember the UCI voicing their concern over this last year at the TDF?

any powered vehicle on the roads must be roadworthy .... as must any drawn vehicle i.e trailer. There are exceptions like mobility scooters/wheelchairs etc. Essentially if it is on the road it has to be SABS approved and on the eNatis system. In other words... a self propelled bicycle would be deemed to be a powered vehicle and therefore the operator and vehicle will need licences!!

Do mtb races subscribe to the UCI rules? If so it would not be allowed. I'm pretty sure I remember the UCI voicing their concern over this last year at the TDF?

What i mean is, will they allow you to do a PPA mtb race/funride with it if you tell them before hand what it is and that you are not expecting a result

You actually get this where?eek.gif

I thought cycling is about fitness, endurance, self discipline and most importantly FUN. Did I miss something by not attending that class or was the memo not sent to me?blush.png whistling.gif

any powered vehicle on the roads must be roadworthy .... as must any drawn vehicle i.e trailer. There are exceptions like mobility scooters/wheelchairs etc. Essentially if it is on the road it has to be SABS approved and on the eNatis system. In other words... a self propelled bicycle would be deemed to be a powered vehicle and therefore the operator and vehicle will need licences!!

Correct. Which is why quad bikes (grrr) are not allowed on the road.

What i mean is, will they allow you to do a PPA mtb race/funride with it if you tell them before hand what it is and that you are not expecting a result

Which following my post, the most logical answer would be no.