Riding technical rocky stuff on your MTB - how to survive a marathon?

Audible Anarchy

Enjoying the advice on this thread... makes me want to go straight back to VG and give it a go AGAIN!

mons 100 .you know that if you want some coaching all you have to do is ask.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mons 100 .you know that if you want some coaching all you have to do is ask.

Thanks FLYIT!! Appreciate it!! http://1.1.1.2/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/happy.png

thanks guys, good advice all round - so now that i know what i have to do to improve on the technical stuff how do i pick races that suit my current level of ability? To be honest racing and fast times are why i race a road bike, i just like the MTB for the scenery and relaxed vibe, leaving the heartrate monitor at home and not worrying about results ,seeding etc....

But in the same breathe i want to do events where i can at least ride most of the route! ive seen some trails are graded like at the bike park in 4 ways and kings kloof for example - is there a race difficulty rating? is it safe to assume the marathons are more technical than say the half marathons? should i stick to the half marathon events until i can nail trails like kings kloof,van gaalens and thaba trails in practice?

i managed most of the sections during the race on sat e.g. that first climb from the dual concrete - just those hardcore super rocky ones i really battled with.

The USN Cup this weekend is quite a relaxing ride. Fast and flowing single track!