Silicone spray or WD 40 ?

Slowbee

I don't believe in dry lube or silicone spray.

I happen to know a little bit about oil and yes the normal mix of oil and dirt is not ideal when using normal wet lube, but oil definitely lubricates better than any wax / silicone / teflon compound that you will find

Talking about wet lube specifically, WD40 might be too watery... not sure about the viscocity, but I would assume that around 10 centistokes will be good for typical chains / sprockets / pivot bearings. Now it is quite hard to get the viscocity information at any given temperature as it varies exponential with temperature, but I think ordinary wet lube that you buy from the bike shop is your best bet.

And if you grease any parts, try not to use general purpose motor grease. This stuff is full of EP additives that are necessary in gearboxes but do no good in bearings and bushes.

Edited by rudi-h

Flip can you okes speak in normal eengliesh please.

Silicone is thus not to be used on linkages ?

And what about spraying on the bike to help keep dirt off ? (or is it better to use Mr Min to polish up the frame?)

What about the under the saddle ?

It repels dust you say? How?

LOL... Okay, well, that was written badly, I'll admit.

Let me try again - the dust attracting properties of Silicone Spray are less than that of WD 40 due to the chemical composition of said spray. Silicone spray is silica based, and is designed to be a "dry" lubricant, whereas WD40 is an oil-based spray.. WD40 holds on to dust more voraciously than silicone spray does due to the fact that a small layer of oil is left behind when the penetrating hydrocarbons evaporate. Silicone based sprays do not have that property, and therefore do not cling on to dist / dirt as much as the WD40 would.

Therefore - dust repellant (but only in comparison to WD40 & Q20)

Flip can you okes speak in normal eengliesh please.

Silicone is thus not to be used on linkages ?

And what about spraying on the bike to help keep dirt off ? (or is it better to use Mr Min to polish up the frame?)

What about the under the saddle ?

NONE OF THE ABOVE mentioned by you.

Disassemble, strip, clean, LIGHTLY grease and re assemble.

Unfortunately there are no "quick-fixes" as I understand you want with the aerosol type lube

NONE OF THE ABOVE mentioned by you.

Disassemble, strip, clean, LIGHTLY grease and re assemble.

Unfortunately there are no "quick-fixes" as I understand you want with the aerosol type lube

And DEFINITELY not Mr Min! That stuff will remove paint, decals, grease and grime. And leave your bike wondering what she did to deserve such rampant hostility