Campag 9sp to 10sp

Andymann

With Campag now at 11sp it becoming really difficult to get 10sp Chorus and Record parts. All my bikes and wheels are 10sp, so changing to 11sp will be hugely expensive, and I really don't think it's that necessary for the riding I do. So, question is - I can get hold of a set of Record 9sp shifters - I already have on my training bike a 9sp RD working perfectly with a 10sp chain, cluster and shifter, and I consider myself pretty handy with a set of screwdrivers (I recently dismantled my SRAM X9 shifters, springs and all, and gave them a good clean and service) so can you dismantle a Campag 9sp shifter, and replace the indexer with the 10sp part, converting it to 10sp? I know you can buy all the replacement shifter bits without too much of an issue....

Probably. It depends on the year model of the shifter.

Edit: you can also get spares at www.bike24.com

Edited by Minion

Here's the thing though - I need a whole groupset to build another training bike - whole groupset (combo of Veloce/Centuar) from CRC - about R6k. Buy a whole Bianchi EV4 from a mate with 9Sp Record - R5K - sell off the bits of the bike I don't need (Wheels, Frame, etc, etc - say R2K) and change the lever to 10sp.... makes more sense to me....

I already have on my training bike a 9sp RD working perfectly with a 10sp chain, cluster and shifter,
how is that possible?surely the 9spd rd would move in different increments to a 10spd cassette/shifter.

how is that possible?surely the 9spd rd would move in different increments to a 10spd cassette/shifter.

All Campag 9sp and 10sp RDs, between 2001 and 2008, had the same lever arm lengths. The shift distance was controlled by the ergo lever. So long as shifter and cassette matched everything would work perfectly.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/spares01-A.pdf

http://www.ctc.org.u...aspx?TabID=3946

Edited by Minion

YOu will also need to change the chain. A 9Speed chain did not like being on a 10speed cassette, especially at mor extreme ratio.s

the 10speed chain doe snot like a 9speed cassette.

The chain rings are the same, just a different "speed" printed on them.

The Ergo levers are the same except for the actual shift mechanism which is replaceble.

its the 11speed stuff where the changes are (excuse the pun)

Thanks - yup. I have been reading a bit and it doesn't seem like a big issue at all. Just to clarify - on the training bike it's all 10sp (incl. chain) apart from the RD which is 9sp - it works fine.....

easy to change, i converted my 9sp mirage to 10sp.

Great - can you remember the part no's of the bits you changed?

While it's not my favourite job, I occasionally open up my ergo levers for servicing and part replacement. There is quite a lot of stuff on the web about converting 9 speed erog levers to 10 speed. You pretty much just need to change the clicky indexing this inside.

A good starting point: http://www.campyonly.com/howto/cam_change.html

Your bike shop will be able to order all the required parts for you.

the derailleur wheel are not a problem. The 10s wheels are slightly narrower but your chain will wear theh quite quickly. You can also replace the 9Sp derailleur jockey cage wheels with 10sp units. I did that, no problem. If you go for thos blingy jobs they have a narrower width and will mess with your derailleur setup.

the derailleur wheel are not a problem. The 10s wheels are slightly narrower but your chain will wear theh quite quickly. You can also replace the 9Sp derailleur jockey cage wheels with 10sp units. I did that, no problem. If you go for thos blingy jobs they have a narrower width and will mess with your derailleur setup.

The 9sp and 10sp wheels are identical. The only difference is that the 10sp assembly uses a slightly thinner spacer plate making it 8.4mm wide vs. 8.8mm for 9sp. 10sp Record RDs with a carbon cage actually use 9sp pulley assemblies.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, final answer to this question - yes you COULD, but now you can't! Seems like the crafty Italians have realised people like us are building hybrid shifters, and have stopped supplying the parts separately....So where you could order just the two gears and the springs before, now you have to order the whole shifting body for about R1000..... Which is a bit bloody worrying when your indent springs wear out - because now you can't even order those....cursing.gif