Road Bike Recomendations

SUPIE.COM

Or a Cannondale Synapse 105 for around 12k. Coming from a hybrid you might find the Synapse with it's slightly more relaxed geometry more comfortable

If you can pick up a CAAD 10 with Ultegra it will last you forever. The CR1 Team which comes with 105 is listed at under 20k and thats full carbon. The CR1 falls into the plush category. 20 k can buy a nice pair of Zipp 404's.

Edited by MCipollini

Welcome to the lekka world of old racing...

CAAD 10, yes!

Wonder why you are favouring the CAAD?

I sat with the same problem in buying a bike for my brother and we settled on a CAAD 10 and upgraded the wheels a year later. It is a brilliant bike and IMO provides the best balance between cutting edge engineering and excellent value for money you will find in the shops now.

Personally however, I'd buy this :

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&do=view_item&item_id=43095

I bought a C40 frame on the hub and built it up as a second bike but it is my favourite ride and will never depreciate like any new bike you will buy.

I ride a CR1 Pro and it is definitely the best bike I have owned, unfortunately does not fall into your budget brand new but I am sure you could pick one up second hand though!

The budget seems to be R20K

So:

- Shoes R2K (or R3800 if you go the sidi's)

- Helmet R2K

- R650 Jersey

- R1000 Shorts

You'll also need a decent track pump, mini pump, glasses (R900 if you get in on one of the Rudy auctions), cleats (maybe) so say R1500 odd.

That means you got a budget of +/- R12850 and if you look well you'll get a lot of nice bike for that.

Maybe go for a Giant TCR (2010 / 2011 version as it's best) full carbon frame with 105 second hand and look to upgrade the wheels if there is any coin left in the budget. Decent resale value as well if you're not loving the sport.