British Champion Laws makes perfect new-team debut

Matt

After her controversial omission from the Great Britain London Olympic Games team, British road race champion, Sharon Laws, had good reason to smile broadly on Sunday, when she concluded 2012 with a dominant victory at the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Click here to view the article

Damn, she made the locals look like amateurs. Very well done.

It's a team sport, "she made the 'other' local teams look like amateurs" is more appropriate.

It's a team sport, "she made the 'other' local teams look like amateurs" is more appropriate.

I see, so her team let her go with around 30 k's to go ?

Jip, she was send out as carrot and the MTN team and others did not chase her down....couldn't.....she really showed our local girls that they are indeed not up to par!! She definitely have some BIG ones to go out alone, so far out, in the heat and wind and pull it off....by more than 5minutes....kudos to her!!!

The team set a very hard pace with 40km to go and four of them (Momentum - Toyota) had a sizeable gap. Sharon pushed on and the three others were caught by what was left of the bunch, but they realised a bit late Sharon was off the front. Lise was the only MTN rider left and she received very little help from other teams who were happy to race for second! Both Lise, An-Li and Ashleigh were 'flat' due to tummy bugs from African Champs.

Edited by Flemish Lion

Jip, she was send out as carrot and the MTN team and others did not chase her down....couldn't.....she really showed our local girls that they are indeed not up to par!! She definitely have some BIG ones to go out alone, so far out, in the heat and wind and pull it off....by more than 5minutes....kudos to her!!!

Sent out as a carrot that far and no chase, sounds a bit stupid to me to be honest.

I think she showed them a clean pair of heels, otherwise we might as well consider "race-fixing"

The team set a very hard pace with 40km to go and four of them (Monentum - Toyota) had a sizeable gap. Sharon pushed on and the three others were caught by what was left of the bunch, but they realised a bit late Sharon was off the front. Lise was the only MTN rider left and she received very little help from other teams who were happy to race for second! Both Lise, An-Li and Ashleigh were 'flat' due to tummy bugs from African Champs.

Thanks Flemish, that sounds more credible.

I saw her as she came past George's cafe on Summit road, she was powering along but with an amazing comfort.

Which local girls? You can't blame An-Li or Lise... Ash, Jo, Robyn and Cherise are more then on par, their overseas results and contributions prove this.

The way Robyn led Cherise out for the hotspots also deserves a mention.

Sent out as a carrot that far and no chase, sounds a bit stupid to me to be honest.

I think she showed them a clean pair of heels, otherwise we might as well consider "race-fixing"

No, they call it racing tacticks. Her team was the strongest with the most of the strong riders in their team. If they did not send anyone away, they would have been left to do all the work. So best is to send someone that can ride alone ahead, forcing other teams to do the work and saving all your other guns. Its how racing works. They put the ball in the other teams hands and gave them the power to decide if they want to chase or leave her, hoping she will fade. Racing is a gamble.

No, they call it racing tacticks. Her team was the strongest with the most of the strong riders in their team. If they did not send anyone away, they would have been left to do all the work. So best is to send someone that can ride alone ahead, forcing other teams to do the work and saving all your other guns. Its how racing works. They put the ball in the other teams hands and gave them the power to decide if they want to chase or leave her, hoping she will fade. Racing is a gamble.

Did you actually read any of the comments in this thread ?

But thanks for educating me in racing tactics, it's always nice to learn something new.

I am sure most of us are familiar with race tactics. Give it time, we'll see some more of this.

Anyways, well done to Laws and @Flemish, wishing your better half a fantastic season ahead, that team is world class.

Which local girls? You can't blame An-Li or Lise... Ash, Jo, Robyn and Cherise are more then on par, their overseas results and contributions prove this.

The way Robyn led Cherise out for the hotspots also deserves a mention.

I am not referring to her team mates, but the other teams....Bizhub, MTN, MECER....as it was said....they gave up and raced for 2nd place...

Anyways, well done to Laws and @Flemish, wishing your better half a fantastic season ahead, that team is world class.

Thanks!

That was Jo's last race as a pro. She will now focus on her Business Analyst / Project Manager career and race for fun.

Many don't know how hard it is to follow a training program for 6 days a week for the last 3-4 years, most of them combined with a full time job! The crashes and resulting scars and pains made it tough for her the last few months.

Edited by Flemish Lion